1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miss America 2008

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spup1122, Jan 26, 2008.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully she'll have a better time of it than the last Miss America from Michigan, Kaye Lani Rae Rafko, who was hung out to dry by Michael Moore in "Roger and Me."

My wife tells me that our fair state of Indiana has had a huge number of Miss America runner-ups. I'm very proud.

2. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

No matter how ridiculous and archaic the show, I can't help but watch at least a segment. No idea why; it's embarrassing to admit considering I know better. But the Utah/Army contestant seemed smart and interesting so I checked out her blog. I guess if young girls are going to emulate these women, they might be encouraged to know she, too, has struggled with self-esteem issues:

Friday, December 21, 2007
    "My Talent?"
    It's funny because ever since Soldiers in my unit found out that I won a pageant in 2006 they were always somewhat shocked and then congratulatory. After it sunk in though, they then would ask the question, "So... what on earth is your talent?" Yes, I have to admit, I have come a long way. It was difficult to find a talent for me to do because I didn't grow up performing and having all that much confidence in my self. Then the challenge of the Miss America Organization came along. I had to break my fear. I have grown up in a family, a musically talented family that is, where I "shied" away from ever thinking I was good enough to sing anything, let alone on my own. Now, here I am, just a few weeks away from singing on "Miss America: Live". Huh? Talk about a reality check!

I have been working hard on trying to "improve" my voice. I have come a long way and still have lots to learn. I definitely won't be the most talented up there, that's for sure, but I am excited to show what talent I do have. It seems very fitting that I am singing a song called, "Shy".

- Sgt. Jill Stevens

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

What happened, Play?

BTW, Mrs. Birdscribe hypothesizes that aside from being a blonde and a gift to Clever's wet dreams penis, Miss Michigan was picked as a sympathy vote to the most depressed state in the country.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Is this about the show on TLC or the actual pageant? [/notpayingattention]

6. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

And somewhere in ol' A-Squared, Rita Rodriguez wonders where her husband is tonight ...

7. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/miss-america/video.html

Miss Virginia is my new dream I will have for months upon months

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

So Ms. Michigan won it?
    Is that her pic above? She's wonderful to look at.

------edit
    Just went to WaPo site and saw more pics of her.
    The one above is by far the best I've seen.
    There's a pic of the swimsuit portion and those black suits are smokin' !!
    See slideshow

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/26/AR2008012601668.html?hpid=moreheadlines

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Indiana? Puleeze. We redshirt Miss Americas at Ole Miss.

10. playthrough

She was in a parade in Flint, and Moore asked her how she felt about passing the shut-down stores and seeing all the laid-off GM workers. She said something like "I'm for employment!" but avoided saying anything important. The pageant was two weeks away at that time and when Moore asked for her message to the people of Flint she said "keep your fingers crossed for me!"

A classic ambush job by Moore!

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

she doesn't get paid to say anything of value.

12. playthrough

Well, yeah. But she played the role of vacuous Miss America contestant to a T.

Draft saved Draft deleted