1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Misnomer: Best Buy Customer Service

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I hate Best Buy with a passion.

Bought a laptop there once, they didn't tell me Windows Office Word was not included. I wanted to kill them.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's one of their better tricks. That, and putting people in parts of the store where they don't know the equipment, so if they give you wrong information, they can say that the guy was "helping out" outside of his normal area.

3. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem with BB, which has included to major, recent electronics purchases (TV and laptop), but I researched both products pretty seriously before I made the purchase. There's no reason you should buy a laptop or TV there without already knowing the features included. For what I was interested in, they had the best prices/payment plan available.

I went in the store to look at the models and ask questions (you guys are definitely right that some employees are more helpful than others, but it's a freaking giant retail chain - you can only expect so much). Then I went home and researched more and finally went back for a purchase. They tried to pressure me into the warranties, but so does every other retail outlet.

To steal a sports cliche, they are what they are. It's dumb to not do the research on any major electronics purchase, and customer service experiences will vary by the store and staff.

Elliotte - Office hasn't been included with new laptops from any manufacturer for several years unless you pay extra. I would assume it has something to do with the antitrust settlement. OpenOffice is a nice, free equivalent.

4. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Since when does any computer come preloaded with Word?

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I stopped shopping at Best Buy when I went in one with my two best friends (who are African-American) and they followed us around the whole damn store.

Then when we went back to speak with the manager, he laughed at us.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Now, THAT'S what Best Buy calls customer service.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

That was a common occurrence when I worked there in the '90s. Since I was a lowly seasonal employee, I had it out with a manager over that practice once. He laughed it off.

The next Christmas I worked at Circuit City. One manager would ask people to follow around minorities, but nobody listened to him.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Had an awful experience earlier this year with Worst Buy over a defective computer. Customer service was basically non-existent. After not resolving the dispute with the in store personnel, went to escalate it to the store manager, then regional management. Basically was given the runaround on both--the store manager hid; they wouldn't give out regional staff phone numbers.

So, went straight to the CEO, which not surprisingly finally got some action. If anyone wants his e-mail address, just let me know.

Bye bye, Best Buy. I won't be back.

Also ran across where some of their execs are speaking at a conference on customer service later this year--as frickin' keynote speakers. I almost feel like going there and just heckling the hell out of them.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry, America decided it wanted the lowest possible price - not customer service - a long time ago.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This. Once you've gone to a box store, you've made your choice.

11. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

When shopping at Best Buy, ALWAYS pay attention to the prices they ring up. Multiple times I've gone to buy something there only to have the price they've rung up be higher than the advertised price. So I take them back to show them the sticker and have gotten an "oh, that price is wrong ... but since you saw it I guess we'll give you that price."

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Only Best Buy hardly gives the lowest possible price on most of its computer related products. You're better off getting stuff from Tiger Direct or another well-known online dealer in that regard.

Draft saved Draft deleted