1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miserable, sad story about Adrian Peterson's son

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would be cautious about assuming AP was monitoring this child's welfare very closely or had much of a relationship at all. The mom was living in an apartment in South Dakota; Peterson has a son, Adrian Jr., who is the same age as this boy. I believe the total is now three children by three women that we know of. This sure looks like his involvement was primarily about court-ordered child support, which would not be uncommon at all for an athlete.

Such a horrible crime. I hate even thinking about it. But I'd be skeptical of stories about the doting father AP. In fact I think there's a decent chance this becomes a very uncomfortable open window into his life.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I was making more of a general statement than anything specific to Peterson.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm going to make a very broad and seemingly harsh statement and it's more of a devil's advocate than anything:

If he has 3 kids from 3 women and is just paying child support and has not seen this kid much...I don't think it's going to affect him outside of the fact that he has to deal with it.
    I'm sure his emotional connection with the child isn't the same as a father that actually lives with and cares for his child on a daily basis.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Completely agree that it doesn't matter. Wasn't clear from sketchy news reports on the "secret child" thing, but gradually piecing it together from context. Is Adrian Jr. the child who actually lives with and is being raised by Peterson? Is Adrian Jr.'s mother Peterson's wife or actual girlfriend? There seems to have been a lot of confusion and errors in the media today, showing photos of the wrong child.

Would tear me up just having a small child who was living in another state, not a part of my daily life. Can't imagine the added levels of horror, anguish and yes, sense of guilt at losing such a child (or any, obviously) to a brutal death.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I am far from a death penalty enthusiast, but there is something instinctive in all of us that says that it's the only appropriate response to a crime like this.

6. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Awful.

Just awful.

I had to cover a very similar case recently, only there were no pro athletes involved and the victim survived. It's just horrifying - the injuries, to see the damage done.

If any good can come from this, I hope people will wake up and realize this happens too often. And it needs to stop. Now.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When my oldest was a toddler, we had him babysat by a neighbor who had a young daughter, like 7 or 8 years old. The neighbor worked different days and times, so we pretty much would swap babysitting a couple of days a week.

One day, my son started crying as I was walking him down to the neighbor's house. He was too young to express himself at the time, so at first, I figured it was just separation anxiety. But it started happening, day after day.

Finally, when we were watching the daughter, we asked her nicely if there was any reason why our son was crying. At first, she didn't want to say, then when we told her we would keep a secret, she said that our son was getting hollered at a bunch in the house.

By the dirty, piece of welfare trash boyfriend who had just started shacking up with the neighbor a couple of weeks before. We knew they'd been dating, but we didn't know he was living with her.

We didn't directly fire the neighbor because we knew it would cause trouble for the daughter; rather, we just told the neighbor that our work hours had changed and that we could watch our son from now on, but we would still watch her daughter. A few months passed, and they ended up moving out of the area.

I shudder to think that my son could have been one of those kids that we read about who are killed by the live-in boyfriend. Believe me, it took my wife a lot of persuasing not to get me to go down to that house and start going nuclear on the guy. Mostly because we were worried about what would happen to the daughter if we did.

I still wonder how she's doing now. She'd be in her late teens or early 20s. I hope she ended up OK. She may have saved our son's life.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I find this story difficult to deal with and I am hundreds of miles away and have no emotional connection. Even if Peterson never saw the child- which would not surprise me- I think dealing with it would be difficult. From guilt if nothing else.

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Adrian Peterson only recently learned he was the father of a 2-year-old boy in South Dakota ... and met him for the first time Thursday ... while the boy was on life support, TMZ has learned.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/10/12/adrian-peterson-son-paternity-south-dakota/

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Holy fuck. This is breathtakingly sad.

Multiple sources connected to the situation tell us ... roughly 2-3 months ago, the mother of the child had a paternity test done with an ex she suspected to be the father, in an effort to collect child support from him.

But the test turned up negative, so the woman went to Adrian ... with whom she had a sexual encounter several years ago.

We're told ... when Adrian was first informed about the matter, he didn't question the possibility he was the dad -- but rather asked how he could help the situation.

Sources tell us ... a few weeks ago, A.P. started to plan a trip to South Dakota to meet the child for the first time and he was supposed to fly out later this month.

But when he heard the news about the attack on the 2-year-old, Peterson dropped everything and jetted over to Sioux Falls as soon as he could.

We're told Adrian met the child for the first time while the boy was on life support.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/10/12/adrian-peterson-son-paternity-south-dakota/#ixzz2hWsWgVDm

And TMZ just destroys everyone else on breaking news.

11. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

They do, but it's in part because they:

1. Pay for information
    2. Run with any anonymous info
    3. Never suffer any consequences for being wrong

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Anybody know if the charges against this cretin have been upgraded to murder to one degree or another?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.