1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miserable, sad story about Adrian Peterson's son

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

BTW, while I appreciate Mushnick in general, I only posted the excerpt from his column because it echoed Bodie's idiocy.

I was hoping he might recognize that.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

How do you even know he "kicked her aside?" Has anything specific even been reported about the nature of the relationship? I'm reluctant to even point this out considering the tragic nature of the story, but there are plenty of athlete groupies out there purposely angling for these one night only (and maybe get knocked up) things with jocks. I don't know exactly what circumstances precipitated the pregnancy, and I'm guessin you don't either.

You just seem so determined to make Peterson the evil bad guy in this, and I'm just not seeing it. What I understand is this: he just learned that he (allegedly) had the child a couple months ago, made plans to visit the child, then learned of the beating and immediately flew out when the child was on life support. And evil bad guy I'm not seeing there.

Now as for the despicable beast that beat the child...

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Any statement to Bodie that starts with "You do know" is on shaky ground.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Seriously, Bodie. Dial it down. You know nothing about the relationship whatsoever. It's real easy in hindsight to say that he should have dropped everything and flown out to see the kid immediately. But as has been stated, he was in the middle of training camp and the season opening, and he did not foresee this tragedy happening. From what I read, he planned to head out there later this month, but he didn't get that chance. So blame the sick fuck who killed the kid. Yes, athletes can be irresponsible when it comes to this stuff. But so can many, many young men. Seems to me like he planned to do the right thing if the kid was indeed his. And nobody said he is a saint. But it's his fucking kid, and it can't be easy on him.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Maybe Steve Garvey is his Padre.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Bodie is Phil Mushnick. Or at least they both ignore what is known about the case and blame Peterson for not getting the kid out of harm's way. This column is sickening. Tying his brother's death to Peterson's driving offense is deplorable. And while Peterson certainly doesn't look good with the club incident, the charges were dropped. Not a lot to build a column about this guy's poor moral values. Should he have three kids from three different women? Who am I to say? I don't know the situations that produced the kids, and as long as he is willing to support them, then I don't get throwing him under the bus after such a tragedy.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

That was a pretty awful column.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The scumbag who laid hands on a 2-year-old is the bad guy here.

Peterson maybe should have used the Vikings' bye week (last week) to have squeezed in a visit to this son about whom he recently had learned. But meeting a 2.5-year-old after the season wouldn't seem that out of line, compared to meeting a 2-year-old right now.

But I'm mostly wondering how Bodie lets the "random woman" off the hook so completely? Peterson's one-night stand apparently was her one-night stand, too. Her shaky sense of responsibility is equal to his. Doesn't seem like she was in it to win Powerball, because she tried first to get support from the non-pro athlete in her life. But spreading her legs for someone not her husband or significant other was just one of this "random woman's" bad decisions, compounded by her most recent choice of boyfriends.

I'm angry at that scumbag, not Peterson or the mom. I feel horrible for the child, not Peterson or the mom. Those two could have done several things different and better and probably will carry feelings of guilt around for a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.