1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Miracle on Ice'' on VERSUS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by deadliner, Jan 18, 2007.

1. deadliner

deadliner Member

VERSUS has been running the TV movie "Miracle on Ice'' with Karl Malden as Herb Brooks.
    Anyone see it?
    Thumbs up or thumbs down?

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Oh, man, I'll have to check that out again! Obviously, Disney's "Miracle" is better, but it's not really fair to compare a bigger-budget movie to a 1980s TV movie that was probably hastily made.

At the time I thought Karl Malden was a curious choice for Brooks, but he seemed to do OK. It's just funny seeing Kerry Mahoney play a hockey goalie and mild-mannered Gary from "Thirtysomething" portray hot-headed O'Callahan.

Like I said, I'll have to see it again to refresh my memory. However, I can still hum that movie's theme music from memory.

3. EE94

EE94 Guest

that Karl Marlden is the worst
    love the scene where two fathers (I think) walk into the arena with their arms around each other.
    The actors can't skate and they don't try to hide it and Al Michaels has more lines I think than Karl Malden

trivia question
    who was Al Michaels colour guy?

4. tommyp

tommyp Member

Ken Dryden (at least in the real game)

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I would love to see the documentary that HBO did on the 1980 team. I thought that it was awesome. After all these years, these guys still couldn't believe that they beat the Russians.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

You can find it on video or DVD somewhere. I highly recommend it.

Draft saved Draft deleted