1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miracle comeback from Florida?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Feb 27, 2007.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that shitty non-conference schedule Florida played is coming back to haunt the Gators.

That and Florida sucks on the road.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't remember the Gators' non-conference schedule. But I do remember their loss to KU, which right now would be another argument against Florida for a No. 1 seed if those teams are in the discussion.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

How long ago was that game? I think the Gators clinching the SEC last week and having nothing left to play for has a lot to do with their form. They had a net cutting ceremony and everything. Mental exhaustion. Whatever. If they win the SEC tournament, they're still a No. 1 seed.

EDIT: Plus their defense really seems to be lacking, which, as any coach will tell you, is all about desire, hustle, blah, blah, blah. Looks like they hit the snooze button.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The KU game was in Nevada as part of a holiday tournament. I believe it was the second game in as many days for both schools.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Here's the thing: I would think TheSportsPredictor wouldn't even have to ask.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

If Florida is absolutely a No. 1 seed with the way they've played the past few games, then doesn't the SEC absolutely deserve more than four teams in the tournament? I understand the argument that those two aren't connected, but I think they are.

On the other hand ... who gets in? You could argue that none of the West teams deserve to get in, but Mississippi State is absolutely one of the 30 or so most talented at-large teams. Watch them if you don't believe ... their athleticism is outstanding. What about Georgia? Bama is uber talented but can't handle the ball for shit with Steele hurt, and their big studs in the middle disappear at times.

If UF is a 1, where are Vandy and Tennessee seeded then? I think UT's RPI is 7, and the Vols played four games without Lofton. Vandy lost to two Southern Conference teams and at Tennessee by 27, but the Dores have some nice wins.

Can the conference with maybe the No. 1 overall RPI get just four? Is that fair? Just curious.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I'm not into making excuses for teams. Either they're playing worthy of a No. 1 seed or they're not. And if you're going to chalk that game up as irrelevant because they played that game months ago, then I suppose you could dismiss KU's losses to Oral Roberts and DePaul just the same. Doesn't work that way. You judge each team's body of work, then seed teams accordingly.

And Hammer Pants, to answer your question, I would say no to more than four teams in the SEC. While there's not a single SEC team with a losing record, the downside is that there are a lack of great teams to legitimately deserve tournament berths. A 19-9 Alabama would probably be the fifth, but they're 6-8 in the SEC and sit third in the West division. Hard to make a case for them these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted