1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minute Maid Park or Rangers Ballpark?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rumpleforeskin, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Where can we go before the game to beat the heat before we start tailgating?

We may see the Astros Wednesday night, yet that's to be determined. What are your favorite bars in the area?

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

i'd take that as a ringing endorsement. so i'd have to say go with the rangers.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you drive to the Ballpark looking to tie one on, better bring a DD. Arlington is the biggest city in the U.S. without municipal public transportation.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

There's big places like Papadeaux, Joe's Crab Shack and Hooters within a few blocks that will be doing pregame stuff. Plus a dozen other places I can't think of at the moment.

There is also a big, sprawling bar called Sherlock's Baker Street Pub that's great before and after, with cheap drink specials. It's maybe a quarter-mile from the ballpark, but I think they even run a shuttle.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

People talking about the game instead of salaries.

6. Rumpleforeskin

All are pretty good ideas if we get up there. Thanks for the tips. My friend told me about Sherlock's.

7. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

In terms of Minute Maid, the main bar is (as mentioned before) The BUS -- it's about 20 steps from the home-plate entrance of the park.

8. Rumpleforeskin

I tried looking up the BUS bar, but couldn't find anything online. Are the drinks and food reasonably priced? I know it's a bar, but any specials I should know about, maybe on a Wednesday?

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

All I got was a citysearch thing: http://houston.citysearch.com/profile/36884091/houston_tx/b_u_s_bar.html

It's basically a very, very casual drinking bar, almost like an old rock club in terms of lack of decor. It's open-air and the crowd spills out on the sidewalk, but there's a/c in the back. I assume there's drink specials; I don't know about eats.

The Astros owner reportedly fired the old pitching coach (the guy who was on TV from the dugout during the ChiSox World Series) for spending too much post-game time there.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they've got a limited bar menu - wings, rings, fries, etc. May have burgers and the like as well.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I still stand by what I said earlier: Baseball is meant to be played and enjoyed outdoors. Even if it is 1,000 degrees outside.

Anyone who would pick Minute Maid simply for the a/c is a pussy, plain and simple (and with all due respect to everyone on this board :) )

If you are some sort of weiner Yankee who can't stand a little heat, go to a night game. You'll be fine.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Every time I've tried to go to the BUS bar after a game, it has been packed to the gills and pumping booty-dancing music at a volume of 11. It's basically a dance club at night.

Which, if that's your sort of thing, have at it. Not really my cup of tea.

Usually after Astros games, I wind up at the Home Plate Grill, but I think that closes at midnight, which sucks.

If you want a laid-back spot near the ballpark to drink after the game, and you want to drink until 2 a.m., you're probably going to have to dnrive somewhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted