1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minute Maid Park or Rangers Ballpark?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rumpleforeskin, Aug 10, 2009.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Re: Minute Maid Park or Ameriquest Field?

Tailgating at Brewers games goes back to the early or mid-70s. It predates tailgating at Packer games.

When I was growing up, I was under the impression that tailgating was invented at County Stadium. I've not read anything that has convinced me otherwise.

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I fully expect us to be the only people drinking in the parking lot at Rangers Ballpark, if we go there. It's cost-efficient to buy a 18-pack or something for $15 than six beers in a bar for the same price.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but don't forget to factor in the cost of the tickets and divide by the amount of time spent in the bathroom after drinking 9 beers. Also, if y ou are in the parking lot in Arlington, you'll also have to add the cost of gas to keep your AC running.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The B.U.S. Bar.

Right across the street from the park.

EDIT: Don't know if this is a factor but Arlington is the White Trash Strip Club capital of North Texas.

You can consider that either a recommendation or a warning. It's up to you.

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Baseball is meant to be played outside, as God intended it. Fuck air conditioning.

Ameriquest Field at Arlington.

6. mb

mb Active Member

Says someone who has never been a game at either place.

Here's a vote for Houston. I don't know if it's the hill or the Crawford Boxes being about 250 feet from home or the goofy train track, but I *love* that park.

While The Ballpark is nice, I never thought to myself "Man, this park is pretty sweet." Make no mistake, it's nice, but I just like Enron/MM more.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The big problem with The Ballpark, other than it's hotter than shit there for half the season, is that there is nothing around it but parking lots.

JerryWorld, which is right down the street, has the same problem but at least there is a Walmart across the street from it. Which is kinda fitting if you think about it.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I was going to suggest Minute Maid, if you go on a Friday, just for the fireworks show. And trust me, you can get away with a lot more in the parking lots than what they allow ;)

And I don't remember The Ballpark being called anything else but The Ballpark for at least the last 10 years. When was it ever called Ameriquest Field?

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Here's another vote for Houston. It's a great place to see a game anyway, and the A/C just seals it. More to do downtown afterward, too.

It'll be hot as balls in either city in August. Even three hours after the sun goes down is still unbearable in Arlington, though. Plus ... it's Arlington.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Skip both games and hangout at Zilker in Austin?

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Huh? I've been to multiple games at both places, seeing as they are the two nearest major league parks to my home.

Go to Ameriquest Field, if you have to choose, simply because it is out of doors and does not make you feel like you are getting drunk in an airplane hangar.

I just did a game at Ameriquest in July. It was hot, but at gametime it wasn't so bad, unless you are just a colossal Yankee pussy ;)

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The BOB in Phoenix makes you feel like you're in an airplane hangar. Minute Maid's got a lot of character to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted