1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minot Daily News sportswriter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dm19, Mar 10, 2010.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bottom line: It's brutally cold in Minot in the winter, and nice and toasty in the summer. North Dakota is windy, although much of Minot is in the Souris River Valley and somewhat protected. The sun shines a lot.

It is isolated; eight hours to Minneapolis, two to Bismarck, about four or five to Fargo, depending how you go (take the Fessenden cutoff). There's a major Air Force base there, and some people are reluctant to live in a city with a military presence.

There are two main high schools in town and both are important to the people. So is Minot State, and so are the little Class B schools in the MDN's wide coverage area. The Minot Vistas American Legion baseball program is a good one. You might learn to curl, eat tiger meat, lutefisk and lefse, and drink Tom & Jerrys at Christmas. There's a mall, and a pretty good health club at the Y.

It's a great place to start a career, or to move up from a smaller daily/weekly. You'll get to cover a ton of stuff, and people in town will know your work because local sports are important. You won't get rich, but you'll get a ton of clips and experience.

You can get there from Minot. I know MDN alums who work/worked at the LA Times, the Atlanta J-C, the NYT, Glamour Magazine, The Forum, the AP, and the now-defunct Seattle P-I and Dallas Morning News.

Like a hundred other jobs in a hundred other small cities, it's what you make of it.

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Wondering who left to create this. In the of the CBA, there was a team in Minot, and working with the Daily News was really cool. Good people, just wondering who took off and where they went.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

SE left to become SID at Minot State. In-house reporter promoted to SE.

4. dm19

dm19 Member

There should be another opening here. Another reporter just put in his two-weeks notice because he's leaving the industry.

5. Airhose

Airhose New Member

I'm the one leaving the MDN, creating the new opening. If anyone has any questions about the position, private message me. I'll be glad to answer any questions.

Draft saved Draft deleted