1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minot Daily News sportswriter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dm19, Mar 10, 2010.

1. dm19

dm19 Member

The Minot Daily News is looking for a full-time sportswriter to join its wide-reaching sports department. The ideal candidate should possess a solid knowledge of all sports, especially high school and college sports, and be able to shoot photos of sporting events. The Minot Daily News covers events throughout the western half of North Dakota. Newspaper experience preferred. We offer a competitive salary, plus benefits, including health insurance, paid vacation, paid holidays and a 401(k) plan. Please submit a resume and writing samples to Chris Bieri, sports editor, P.O. Box 1150, Minot, N.D., 58702.

This is a good sports desk with good people working on it. Not a bad gig for someone looking to get their feet wet.

2. bwright

bwright Member

"the western half of North Dakota" seems like it would be a lot of area to cover.

3. dm19

dm19 Member

They cover a lot of area on the prep side but specialize in covering the northwest and north central part of the state. They have a good, young staff who knows the area well (two reporters are Minot-area natives, one who recently returned) and does a great job covering it. The Minot State Dome hosts quite a few high school state tournaments, including this year's volleyball and Class B state boys and girls basketball tournaments. The town usually gets a lot of other smaller state tournaments. Also, Minot State is a very good NAIA school that is in the process of transitioning to NCAA Division II.

I've got a couple PMs about this and when I copied the ad from another site, I forgot to include Chris Bieri's email. It
    is cbieri@minotdailynews.com.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

You got that right.

Why not Minot?
    Freezin's the reason.

The Tragic City.

Actually, not a half-bad place to begin a career. Lots of writing, lots of deskwork, and lots of beers at the Barley Pop.

5. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Lots of sub-degree temperatures.

6. BCox34

BCox34 New Member

Anyone know about this one? I have been meaning to apply, just haven't gotten to it.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You might want to get to it, then. At least then they'll have a reason to tell you whether it's still open or not.

8. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Nice that you're motivated.

9. BCox34

BCox34 New Member

I do what I can.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I wouldn't hire someone who couldn't care less about the job. Hopefully there will be some candidates who actually want it.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Doing a quick, rough calculation, I come up with the area the Minot sports section reports on as about 12,800 square miles.

12. BCox34

BCox34 New Member

You don't know me. You don't know what goes on in my life.

Nice that you both inferred so much based on a simple internet post.

Draft saved Draft deleted