1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minority sports reporters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PEteacher, Jun 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boots

boots New Member

I'm not a bigot and I'm not implying that everyone on here is. However, let's not be naive. We know there are some out there. As for the changing of the guard, let's hope that it happens soon.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . and the wheels grind on . . . and it'll never, ever end . . . because the bottom line, here, is whose individual ox is being
    gored/given succor . . . and for the individual in the arena, in the intermediate term, that's ALL that matters . . .

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

... wow dude, i suppose you buy televisions without remotes, too.

4. boots

boots New Member

Maybe blacks lack the necessities to make it in journalism. Al Campanis started it.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You brought this thread back to the top just for that? Come on, Boots. Much as you and I disagree, especially on this topic, I expect better from you.

6. boots

boots New Member

Somebody had to fire the first shot! 8) ;D ;)

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. You hit your toe, boots. Next time unholster, son.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Much as I disagree with you, too, on all of this....Nicely done, Ace.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ace has been bringing his A game on all accounts lately.

10. boots

boots New Member

Just wanted to bump this up to see if attitudes have changed.

11. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Well, I am a minority in Canada doing some form of sports journalism. If you look in Halifax, there are no women that are of ethnicity doing any print or broadcast sports journalism. There is one black reporter and one Russian born reporter covering sports for the city paper but both are males. A goal for me is to become the first woman of ethnic background to make it as a sports journalist in the city. The market is very small, but there is room for a woman of ethinicity to cover sports, so long as she is talented and knows her stuff.

A thing that I know I posted on another board was the fact that sometimes subjects of ethnicity that are interviewed for a story relate better to others of ethnic background. It is partly because they have experienced the same things in life, or they bring a different perspective to the interview (a more empathetic approach). Newsrooms have minority reporters so they can bring a different perspective to reporting but to also help editorial people and other reporters understand ethnicities that they are covering or stories they are working on (also to fill ethnic quotas). This is what I have been told by people in the industry.

This is my two cents worth, and I don't expect people to agree but at least it's there for debate.

12. boots

boots New Member

I wish you all the success in the world.
    Of course there will be debate because race is a major problem on this board. Hopefully, people can see thanks to your post that things can change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.