1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minority Solutions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Jun 27, 2006.

1. dcdream

dcdream Member

So we spend so much time in this forum on debating the merits of diversity in a newsroom, do we ever come up with solutions in an attempt to reflect the sports we cover? Are there any initiatives out there that can help sports departments with its diversity struggles?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

My turn to spit on the screen.

4. Fascinating how the other thread has 21 pages and this topic has four replies.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The board -- all complaints, few solutions -- in a microcosm.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That thread had solutions intermingled with complaints.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

So Jeffrey, what's your solution? Honestly. Not trying to be rude, but I'm white, so I don't know what the answer is. I don't know how good the J-schools are at HBCUs. I don't know how hard those schools are pushing to try to get kids into the journalism workforce. I don't know how many or few minorities dismiss journalism by the time they're done with high school. I just don't know.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

In my limited experience, employers try to hire whoever will cause them the least headaches. That's how I approach it.
    Now, I'm a black male and have had a couple of interviews where my skin color was brought up, repeatedly. In those situations, fuck em. I've done more and achieved more than I ever expected, and that's likely because some racist didn't want to hire me and waste both of our time.
    However, I haven't made any great efforts in seeking minority applicants for my paper. i want the best person qualified, period. And I know someone is going to jump down my throat for this, but look at the percentage of good white writers. Let's be generous and say 50 percent. Take that percentage and apply it to the limited number of minority and female applicants.So, out of the one or two that graduates from a j-school, only half are worth giving serious consideration.
    Diversity is important, but not at the risk of ruining the integrity of your paper. Some people are good, others aren't good enough. Just do the best you can with the applicants you receive.

9. I agree with Grizz, and yes, I'm black, too. I don't think I've ever been a diversity hire, but I do know I've interviewed in places where I've had to wonder. That type of stuff doesn't do anyone any good. The best people should get the jobs. But try to be creative in finding the best people. Don't just ask your sports editor buddy who looks like you. That's what I'm tired of - the lack of creativity in hires. It's time to get inspired in making a hire. Hey, I think the kids coming out of Syracuse, Northwestern and Mizzou are talented, too. But they don't have the market cornered on talent. Raiding those schools is easy. ... and tired. Most of those kids are white. If you're looking for talent - truly committed to the task - you look EVERYWHERE, not just a couple of acclaimed universities. That, to me, is the biggest problem. It's easy to round up the usual suspects. Try something different, and maybe those numbers will look different.

10. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

I agree with last two posts. Best person for the job, but look around more before making hire. Kind of like what the NFL says to do, am i right? Expand the search, and go with the best regardless of color or sex. But make a fucking concerted effort. And don't hire a minority for the sake of doing it. Agree that helps no one.

11. Other thread has gone to 22 pages...

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I remember reading or hearing that in American, it's the norm to find the source of the problem and bitch about it. where in japan, they find the source, and fix the problem. just something that popped into my head as i notice the lack of possible solutions on this thread, and all the people bitching on the other thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted