1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minor question about being in stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sirvaliantbrown, Jun 22, 2008.

1. I hate mentioning myself in my stories, under any circumstances, but a guy I've interviewed had a couple interesting conversational habits, ones I want to share, that related to his interactions with me. (For example, he would sort of tap me [I was sitting very close to him] when he was about to make a point.) I think it's good color, given who the guy is, but what do I call myself? "He habitually taps his questioner's knee when..."

"He..." what? What's better? Or is there a way around it?

It just all sounds so stupid.

2. K. Fair fair. I'll think about it.

3. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Agreed. Find something else that was striking about him while you two spoke. Mentioning something whether he was smiling or clenching his teeth are always great additives to a story when trying to capture personality or mood.

I did the same thing when I wrote for my collegiate paper. I ran a story about the Admissions Director and his involvement with his college basketball team when they made it to the NCAA Final Four. There were some great moments in the interview where a great, big smile came across his face that really added to the story.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd have to look back in my archives for the story I wrote, but I had a similar experience when I interviewed Dick Gregory for the niche pub I worked for in college. He tapped my foot repeatedly when he made a point.

I think I might have just described him as being "animated."

5. Sports Illustrated tends to use that fake third person thing a lot, letting the writer refer to himself as "a reporter" or "a visitor." Always seem very forced.

Draft saved Draft deleted