1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minor league hockey team destroys hotel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Diabeetus, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I always thought Tkachuk was the prime culprit in Nagano.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Tkachuck and Guerin were the brain surgeons in Nangano. Chris Chelios paid the hotel out of pocket for the damages.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, if Huggy's never heard of the Mid-Atlantic League, I feel better.

Huggy could dpeak to this better than I can but these guys have been playing hockey since they were four or five.

They were good but not good enough to get drafted into the NHL or they were a seventh round pick and everyone knew they'd get no higher than the AHL.

They get bounced from the AHL to the ECHL, and then they find they're not wanted at that level.

And if they don't want to go the Canadian University route, they're done.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

Yes and yes. They get to see places they might not have otherwise seen, they get to bang puck bunnies and they get paid to play ... and yet they're still on the iron lung.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Makes me wish I had a book in me ... I just don't think that I do.

A story in the Hockey News (IIRC) told of having the change room outside the rink, about the size of a porta-pottie, and the players had to walk through mud from the 'change room' to the rink.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Unless jr the hockey czar sanctions it the league is no good. The way I see it it's still hockey and it allows many good skaters to continue playing a sport they love for a little longer. Also introduces the game to more people who might not otherwise get to see it.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Boom chimes in on a sport about which he knows nothing to pounce on JR. Sometimes, the predictability of this place is laughable.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Mikita, fanboi. Mikita.

9. Boom_70

What is more predictable is you and jr acting like you invented hockey. Because we are not from Cananda we cannot possibly know anything about the sport.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

I certainly don't act like that and I don't think JR does. I know many Americans with whom I converse intelliegently about the game ... you aren't one of them. You see a hockey thread and use it as a way to jump all over JR. It's old and tired, Boom ... but that's your act and you think it works for you. Cool. ;)

11. Boom_70

that is just not true at all flash. jr and I used to have some wonderful discussions in the boards early days about the state of the NHL and how Gary Bettman screwed things up. At times we were the only ones keeping the thread going so as ususal you don't know what you are talking about.

I think jr became concerned when more of his fellow countrymen joined the board that he would be deported if he discussed hockey on equal terms with the U.S.membership.

BTW I've forgotten more hockey than you will ever know.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Laughably idiotic.

Draft saved Draft deleted