1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minor car accident

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the human calculator.

2. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I will admit to having watched the entire infomercial for the copper cookware thing with Betty Somebody Or Other.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree with you in general, but in this specific case, OP did mention that the guy left a note. As long as he didn't throw that away, it's a pretty strong piece of evidence that it went down how he's saying.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I know in that case not much you can do. was just saying in BT's case think it's best to always get the accident report from police.

5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

This is an amazing story. Reminded me of a less delightful one I endured. A few years ago, I rented a car to drive to Virginia and see some friends. It was at the end of a really awful two-year period in which I lost my job and my Mom and I just wanted to have some fun.

On the way home along I-95, I got hit by a speeding car coming off the onramp. The force of the collision sent my car into another car and sent me spinning across four lanes of traffic. With every turn, I thought I was dead and was going to see my Mom again. Eventually, I stopped spinning and ended up in reverse in the breakdown lane. I patted myself down a few times, expecting vital organs to be hanging out. But I was fine. Not a scratch. I should be dead.

Long story short, the driver was drunk and she got arrested. The guy I hit had a warrant out for something so he got arrested too. Cop comes to my door, I roll down the window and say "My turn?" (It was not my turn)

The next day, I went to the junk lot to retrieve my belongings (my CDs had fallen into a box of donuts, which I always thought was symbolic of the chaos). It was literally in the middle of the woods and the guy looked like he should have been co-owning the gun shop with Maynard. There's someone else there and she's talking about how she got in an accident while driving her brother's car last night and she got arrested for drunk driving and she didn't have a license or insurance and she's here to get the stuff out of her car and...

Me: "Did you get in a three-car accident on I-95?"
    Her: "Yeah."
    Me: "I'm the guy you hit."
    Her: "Oh."
    (awkward pause)
    Her: "How are you?"
    Me: "I'm OK. How are you?"
    Her: "I'm in a lot of trouble."

This was some Tarantino-level shit.

A few weeks later, I woke up one morning unable to talk or drink out of one side of my mouth, I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy. Doc asks me if I've been through a lot of stress lately. I recap my previous two years, ending with how I should have been dismembered in a car accident. Him: "Yeah stress will do it."

PS: A few years later, I got a notice to appear in court for this woman's DWI trial. By this point, my daughter was here and I wasn't taking two days out of my week to go to this dumb fuck's trial. For all I know she skated b/c I wasn't driving six hours south to tell a jury how she was a really shitty drunken driver.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was in LA last week and rented a Cadillac SUV. Really nice ride. Just 50 bucks a day.

[​IMG]

On Monday, 4 o'clock or so, I lucked out on the 405 north, not much traffic, and hauled ass from Long Beach to Culver City. That was one of the best drives I've ever had.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Similar accident here, about 10 years ago. Guy in a black sports car rips into Route 80 in Paterson, NJ, crosses four lanes and sets off a chain reaction with four other cars, for which I was the caboose. My car broadsided a spinning minivan in my lane at 70mph. First thing I see through the airbag smoke is that sports car backing up out of the wreckage and taking off.

Everyone is knocked out or whatever (nobody died; I survived, though my chest later was the color of an eggplant) and I’m trying to tell police about a black sports car that whipped in front of everyone. No witnesses mentioned it. Finally, as they’re getting rid of the debris, a tow truck driver notices the door panel from a black sports car. With a VIN etched in it.

Car was stolen. After fleeing, the driver dumped his passenger at home, where the guy nearly died from internal bleeding. The driver was charges with assault, among other things.

In the end, who filed the first lawsuit? Yep? Black sports car driver.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Did you find a parking space at Tito's Tacos??

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Note plus driver's license and photo of car that hit you is pretty good evidence. But must have all of those before doing anything with him.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If the 405 between LB and CC is one of the best drives you've ever had, you need to go exploring more often.

Vombatus and ChrisLong like this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

On that freeway at that time of day it was a relative breeze, which is why I enjoyed it because 4 o'clock in the p.m. on the 405 is usually gridlock.

The best drives I've ever had have been in Vermont and New Hampshire.

Vombatus and TigerVols like this.
  12. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Kancamagus?

Draft saved Draft deleted