1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minnesota Vikings: don't videotape our injured players

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clerk Typist, Aug 12, 2006.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That took fewer words than me, but that was basically what I was saying. They don't know what Hipaa really entails, so they use it as an excuse to shut the door.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Are you kidding? They don't care about credentials, they care about being able to crawl up the ass of the team and be associated with them, just in case they ever get good again.

What if the Vikings are going to the Super Bowl, and your station is on the outs? TV suicide.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Nick Saban won the 2003 BCS national championship and added to that stream of thought. He has many policies similar to those of his good friend Belichick, including one about shooting video of injured players.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Super Bowl credentials are handled by the league, not the individual teams, right?

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The NFL couldn't care less about local TV stations now.

Because there's so much media at the Super Bowl, you can get almost everything from from a feed service or affiliate. With the new video restrictions that go into effect this season, there's simply no reason for a local TV station to crew an NFL game of any kind.

Why pay a photographer to sit around? He can't shoot the games anymore. Postgame? That can be obtained from almost anywhere. Ditto practice footage.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Remember, boys and girls, some of you young'uns will one day be talking about 2006 as the good ol' days in terms of access. The scenario Luggies puts forth -- "give us back our quote" -- is not unimaginable.

You want a seat in the press box? Pay club-level price. Parking? Annual fee. Put audio and video of our pressers on your Web site? Not without giving us a rights payment.

Teams keep creating ways, thanks to technology, to bypass us and go straight to the fans, and they are increasingly emboldened into thinking there's no limit to how much of that they can do.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Shit like that is why I need to parlay my job into a director of operations gig with the Minnesota Wild.
    What? Someone already got that job?
    I'm fucked.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Not talking about game credientials. The issue is all the other stuff, like getting players for live shots, cooperation on half-hour "road to the SB specials" and all the other image-building extras that a local station needs to tie in with the hot team in town.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

You are so on point with this, JD. It's only a matter of time before all the above becomes the norm.

10. Pops

Pops Member

KSTP was severely up the ass of the Vikings forever, hosting the fellacious Mike Tice Show, letting Kelly Campbell run around with a microphone between practices, etc., etc.

Then, in the wake of the boat scandal, the station decided to dig through garbage at players' houses, fly to Atlanta to interview hookers and a bunch of other "look at us! we're breaking news!" stuff. The entire team boycotted the station after the next game, players put up signs saying "KSTP-free zone" in the locker room ... pretty brutal.

That said, the Vikings will credential just about anyone.

11. North61

North61 Member

Yeah, wouldn't doubt it if the KSTP producers were on the old love boat on Lake Minnetonka last summer.

That one reporter went rifling through Bryan McKinnie's/Mewelde Moore's garbage during sweeps week and claimed they a found marijuana bud and tried to link BM to a prostitue--- was such a joke.

reaction: Vikings, McKinnie pissed, Zygi threatened to sever ties with KSTP....blah blah blah

So my take is that KSTP should have shown the injury- but my guess is they didn't want to show to avoid more conflicts with the Vikes and possibly lose preseason coverage.

On a side note, I think KSTP did a story on Gophers hockey players drinking at a bar on some random night and that story was just as lame last year. REALLY? College athletes drink? Holy shat!

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

All that can be done by news reporters without credentials.

I don't know if you've noticed, but some stations are dropping local sports all together. Stations in St. Louis and Tampa come to mind. Amazingly, it wasn't "suicide" for those stations.

It's not 1992 anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted