1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minnesota joins MLS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ruben Rivas, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And do you want to drive six hours, round trip, twice a week for six months? Possibly 20-25 times a year, including playoffs, exhibitions, friendlies, etc.? Can you afford to take off work to do that? Can the families you say will flock from the Carolinas to form a huge chunk of the crowd do that, given the constraints of time and money?
    Be honest.

2. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

I never said I was going to make it to every game...

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

In four years, living 2 hours away from a MLS franchise and I am what I consider a fan of the team. I have apparel, I follow news online, I follow the beat writers on twitter, I watch when they are on TV, ect. ...and I have been to one match.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

But you expect your Carolina brethren to do it?
    What we're all saying is there are very large logistical hurdles to overcome if you expect people from two, three hours away or more to form any significant portion of the ticket-buying fan base. Even regional franchises in the NFL draw most of the ticket base from within an hour of the home city.

5. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

I said a good number of sc soccer fans will go to a good number of games, thats a fair opinionated statement.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If, by good number of fans you mean a few hundred, and by good number of games you mean one of two, then yes.

7. Jake_Taylor

What's the TV structure for MLS? I know there are national games on NBC, but can and do teams have regional cable deals? That's the only reason to talk about the Carolinas in terms of an Atlanta franchise.

8. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

I guess we will have to wait...

9. Jake_Taylor

You know what middle class families who like soccer that much and can afford to travel are doing instead of driving six hours to an MLS game? They are going to their kids' travel team games.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Most MLS teams have regional TV. Some with Fox Sports regional, some with Time Warner regional and others with Comcast Sports Net. A few have online streams with good announcers as well, especially out west.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Answer to the second question is because no one wants to go to Columbia.

As for your first statement, are you trying to tell me you think people will fly from Columbia to Atlanta to go to a soccer game? Like, fly on an airplane?

12. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Soccer fans can, theyre middle class...

Draft saved Draft deleted