1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minnesota joins MLS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ruben Rivas, Mar 25, 2015.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That said, I think MLS would work in Sacramento, at least in the box office. I've seen a rise in civic sporting pride since the Maloofs tried to ship the Kings to Seattle. The RiverCats pack them in as well, and there should be more with the affiliation moving from Oakland to San Francisco.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Seattle, Denver and Portland are already taken. And doing well, so you're on to something there.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I know a few stoners in Austin that would go to games in a heartbeat.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

San Antonio has the Scorpions, who play in the NASL. That's considered the second-tier league by the USSF. Their stadium is soccer-specific and holds 8,000 but can be expanded to up to 18,000.

Austin has a USL franchise, the Aztex, which is a reincarnation of a club that moved to Orlando in 2010. That club, of course, is now in its first MLS season. The USL is considered the third tier, but I don't think there is a lot of difference between the USL and NASL.

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Are there people who will travel for it? Sure. Do they number in the thousands? Highly unlikely.

I have no reason to believe that they will until given some evidence - not just supposition - to the contrary.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Have you met Ruben? He is just lousy with evidence.

franticscribe likes this.
  7. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

We are talking loyal suburban soccer fans here...

8. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

I played high school and college soccer in South Carolina, I coached high school and college soccer in sc as well, yes a lot of soccer fans will travel to Atlanta for games, I am part of that group.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If by a lot you mean 20, I agree.

franticscribe likes this.
  10. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Were you in Charleston when Fredy Adu came to play?

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Charleston is 300 miles from Atlanta. How many came from Atlanta for that game?

I'm sure the Atlanta franchise will be banking on thousands flocking down from the Carolinas for every game.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I assume that was a USMNT game?
    There's a huge difference between a one-off special event like that, and regular attendance at a couple dozen games a year. Especially during a time of year when a lot of the kids and families you're counting on to attend are playing in their own tournaments on the weekend. No doubt they'd go once or twice a year. I doubt they're buying season tickets.

And, Ruben, I do want to clarify one thing. I'm saying all of this as someone who respects the way the MLS has grown. They did it very, very smartly and seemed to have a long-range plan -- build slowly, get a dedicated fan base, build some smaller soccer-specific stadiums to escape the cavernous half-empty football stadiums, and keep salaries in check while all of this is taking place. They've done a great job. Most leagues (notably football) try to make a splash and challenge the big boys within five years, or are small-time to the point that wealthy high schools are more attractive programs, and fail miserably. The MLS keeps chugging along, and they should be applauded.
    Still doesn't mean an Atlanta franchise is the best idea they've ever had.

Draft saved Draft deleted