1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minnesota joins MLS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ruben Rivas, Mar 25, 2015.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This, along with Batman's post, re the ATL. It's coming up on 50 years since the Braves moved in and pro sports still seem to be a second option to the SEC and ACC in Atlanta. If the Braves can't sell out playoff games, they're not gonna show up for MLS. And, yes, it's the South, but we're also talking about a market that's lost two NHL franchises in recent years, the Flames (to Calgary) and the Thrashers (now Winnipeg Jets v. 2.0).

2. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

As someone who lives in the South, I think they will be ok as soccer its only getting more popular and more organized here. Soccer targets a different sport-audience for now which is middle class suburbia, it will go urban eventually as players such as Balotelli come into the league.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and all the kids escaping from the hood.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

North Carolina seems to be a good soccer market, with some of the top college teams that play there. If I had to put money on it I'd say an MLS team in Raleigh or Charlotte (good soccer demographics, high income, fewer sports options) would do a lot better than Atlanta (diverse and apathetic fan base, scattered interests).
    When it comes to sports, Atlanta is the annoying neighbor kid with ADD who keeps breaking things and screaming.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And if they ever get in, badly they will be.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Football and baseball are very popular in South Carolina, right? If fans from South Carolina aren't flooding Atlanta for Falcons and Braves games I don't think it would be wise to count on them to make an MLS team work.

The Twin Cities are already one of the smallest markets with all four major pro leagues, then you throw in Gopher football, basketball and hockey. Is there enough room in the market for another team? Are fans going to go watch AAA soccer in the snow in March?

I agree that Raleigh-Durham seems like a market that would work ahead of Atlanta. I'd think Austin or San Antonio would be better as well.

franticscribe likes this.
  7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You live in a fantasy land.

8. SnarkShark

Just drop these franchises into cities with large hipster communities. The ironic appeal of following MLS soccer will sustain any of these teams.

Austin. That would be the perfect spot.

Batman and spikechiquet like this.
  9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, Austin's got the population, both Hispanic and hipster, and a corporate base without any other "major league" franchises. Seems like that market would be perfect.

10. SnarkShark

Austin Aardvarks, Nashville Gnashers, Silverlake Sashayers.

Boom. Expansion done.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Maybe a market with legalized marijuana would work too.

Smoke, don't give a fuck. Eat nachos.

Batman likes this.
  12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

I've lived in Atlanta for awhile. People love soccer and talk excitedly about an Mls team here....then i ask them who is the reigning Mls champion and four out of five give me a blank stare.

Was just in Austin, and the alt weekly there devotes space for soccer....so ya'll maybe onto something.

Draft saved Draft deleted