1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minneapolis Star Tribune files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by accguy, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Ric Flair guy

Ric Flair guy Member

How do radio contracts work? If they cut Hartman to save money, yet he still had a bunch of years remaining on his contract, I would assume radio contracts don't mean much?

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The thought has certainly crossed my mind. If I weren't so thankful to be on the outside and not having to deal with this crap on a daily basis......

3. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Buyouts capped for some

http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/2009/01/23/6150/star_tribune_were_slashing_promised_buyout_money

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That's what can happen -- admittedly, a rare case -- when you take your buyout as if you're still on the payroll, i.e., stringing your payments out in regular "paychecks" for whatever period of time is covered by the severance. Advice to all: Get a lump sum and run, do not walk, to the bank deposit window.

Good luck to the Minneapolis paper in ever, ever getting someone to volunteer for a buyout again, after they see that staffers promised 40 weeks of exit pay get cut off after as little as eight weeks.

It will be all layoffs now. Unless the place shuts down or Singleton across the river pounces on a deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted