1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minneapolis advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

My brother, I was working blue. The 494 Strip be suckin'. Check your pms when I'm sober..sane..whatever..

AQB, that joint be gone, and that's a helluva line from slap. So true.

Mr. Fly, no worries, common ground trumps all. I am enjoying a Masala Mama after my snow escapdes.

Norm Green sucks.

2. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

MH, did you happen to get to Town Hall during Barrel Aged Week in mid-Feb? I'm not a big stout fan, but I love their Czar Jack. They only filled 100 growlers this year, by ticketed purchase only, for $30. Wish I could make it there one of these years. The other BA stuff they did sounded really interesting as well (Tumaltuous Rare, a wheatwine aged in bourbon barrels, Manhatten Barrel which was a Grand Cru aged on tart cherries in a new distillery's used bourbon barrel, plus Buffalo Bock which was a Weizenbock aged in Buffalo Trace barrels). They're looking to get a two-bottle filler so they can bottle these big-ass brews in the future (they hand-bottled them a year ago but had many issues with contamination and infection with the bottles, so they went back to growler-fill only this year).

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If I was going a week earlier, Bert Kreischer is playing one of the comedy clubs... That would have been fun. That guy cracks me up. I met him in Tallahassee about a decade ago and the guy is an absolute riot.

4. Machine Head

I didn't make it there, wish I would have. I'm locked in on the Masala Mama right now. I need to broaden my base and sample some others. I'm going to be in the area of the new location in a couple of days and see if they've started demo.

Have you ever been to their location on Chicago Avenue in Minneapolis? Nice bar feel, especially in the summer when they can open the front rolling doors. Garage doors, basically.

Pepito's is a couple doors down. Used to be my favorite restuarant. Just ok now, things change with time. In the bar when you get a tap beer you taste the soap used to clean the glasses more than the beer. Hate that.

Mizzou, I was driving on US 54 in the middle of nowhere a while back and picked up some morning drive show that had Bert the Machine on. He told the Russian story. Made me laugh. That's all I know about the guy, but loved his telling of the story.

Two Machines on one thread. Ironic? I await a ruling if deemed necessary.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Wasn't overly impressed with Mickey's when I was in St. Paul. Had some good Italian at Cosetta's, but it's not a fine dining type of place. And they have some AMAZING food trucks in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area.

6. Machine Head

Mickey's is a vibe thing. At least to me.

Cossetta's has been undergoing major reno lately. The owner also bought a pastry shop in Italy:

Their new pastry shop was made in Italy, taken apart, shipped over and reassembled here – by Italian craftsmen. The baked goods will also be authentic Italian.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/10/18/cossetta-in-st-paul-opens-after-impressive-remodel/

7. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Never been to the Tap, only the brewery locale on Washington. Have to stop there one of these days.

I've heard the Maibock release at THB on the first Saturday in May is a blast. It's on my list of things when I'm independently wealthy....

If the Mango Mama is ever on when you're there, that is a MUST have. I love Masala Mama but the Mango Mama elevates it even further with those tropical citrusy hop flavors. So good!

8. Machine Head

I shall heed your advice and sample Mango Mama when it comes around.

Note to the class, this is the joint we are talking about:

http://www.townhallbrewery.com/#home/4046

9. Machine Head

Forgot, long day, apoligies:

Norm Green sucks.

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

That would explain the work they were doing on it when I was there in September. Pretty cool project.

And I get what you're saying about Mickey's. The waitress was great, and the pancakes were huge and pretty good, but not the best food. Atmosphere was cool though, with the throwback diner feel inside the dining car.

11. Machine Head

The Prince talk on another thread gave an idea for another group photo op.

First, do the Viking ship.

Then go to Paisley Park. About 15 minutes form Viking HQ.

I would suggest his house but he had that demo'd a few years back.

Norm Green sucks.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just got back... Had a blast...

We stayed at the Westin Minneapolis. Very nice hotel.

We ate at: Matt's (Burger place), Manny's Steakhouse. The Keys (a breakfast place).

Bars we went to: Ike's on Friday night and The W and Kieran's Pub on Saturday.

Very good advice from the board... All of it much appreciated...

Draft saved Draft deleted