1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minneapolis advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Glam Slam is an ice sculpture? I thought it was the club in 'Purple Rain' and 'Graffiti Bridge.'

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, we've crossed wires here. I am the premier ice sculptor in Minnesota and "Glam Slam" is the signature piece I sculpt to end every season.

When I sculpt ice I wear only a purple speedo. In one hand the chain saw, in the other a bottle of beer. I've quite the following. I thought you were a fan of my work.

I've no idea what these 'rain' and 'graffiti' things are of which you speak. My apologies for the confusion.

3. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Blue Door Pub has outstanding burgers and a great beer list.

Mrs. Fly and I enjoyed a lunch at the not-aptly named Colossal Cafe. Tiny hole in the wall breakfast/lunch spot that had superb food.

I love Town Hall Brew Pub. Great beers (Masala Mama or, if on tap, Mango Mama IPAs are both outstanding). Food is decent as well.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The beer is Schmidt, right?

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Grain Belt

6. Armchair_QB

Oooohhh... Even better.

7. Machine Head

I see both of you are familiar with my work. Hope you have enjoyed it. It is true I've gone through both a Grain Belt and Schmidt phase in my art. Some liken it to Picasso's phases, but that's not for me to say.

If you go to my website I still have some of the life-size "Machine Head in Action!" posters available for sale. You know, the one of me in my speedo, beer in hand, carvin' up some ice. The perfect addition to any man cave.

Mr. Fly, I will have you know I have three empty Masala Mama growlers in my garage and a full one in my basement fridge. I usually get a brat when I go to THT to get a growler. True.

They are opening another in South Minneapolis this summer. Off 28th and Crosstown. Agree Blue Door is solid.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Why don't you purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

9. Machine Head

Just for that I'm not going to personalize the "Machine Head in Action!" poster you ordered.

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

I just don't get out to the Cities nearly as much as I used to. Love it out there but when USA Hockey moved the Select 15 Festival from St. Cloud to Rochester, NY that means many fewer trips into the MSP area. I have family out there that I'd like to see more often, plus loads of good beer friends I always enjoy spending time with while there, including my buds Omar and Todd at that little brewery out in Brooklyn Center.

11. Armchair_QB

Since you're in Bloomington be sure to stop by the Hotel Sofitel and tip one back in memory of Billy Martin.

Back in the day it was known as the Hotel de France and is where Martin got into the fight that got him fired by the Yankees in 1979.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Every time I have beem im Minny I have been so gunned that I don't remember the name of the places that we went.

Is The Loon still there? It was always a fun jumping off spot for a night of stupidity.

Draft saved Draft deleted