1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Minimum wage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by luckyducky, Feb 23, 2009.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

A business columnist at the Tacoma News-Tribune tackled the issue of minimum wage today (http://www.thenewstribune.com/voelpel/story/634707.html)...

Ten years ago, Washington state's minimum wage was $4.90/hour. Voters approved an increase schedule to begin Jan. 1, 2001, that, on Jan. 1, 2009, bumped Washington's minimum wage to $8.55/hour. That is now the highest in the country.

In a time when it seems like we need to be able to employ more folks, even at the lowest pay levels, so that families can be supported, it seems like Washington needs to re-evaluate.

I almost feel guilty agreeing with him, because 10 months ago, I was still working a minimum-wage job part-time and probably wouldn't have been able to keep up with my newspaper job if I'd had to pick up more hours to make up for a lower wage.

California, Connecticut, Illinois, Massachusetts, Oregon, Vermont are the only states with a minimum wage at or above $8/hour. Oregon ($8.40) and Vermont ($8.06) are the only states in that list above $8.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How can you support a family on $6 or $7 an hour?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

How do you support yourself on $6 or $7 an hour? That's way, way below the poverty line.

4. Unsustainable!

5. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

So is it better to have fewer employed people and those who are lucky enough to nab jobs can support themselves?

And if you're curious, the state-by-state listing: http://www.dol.gov/esa/minwage/america.htm

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It's just as hard to support a family on $4.55 an hour as it is to support a family on $8.55 an hour in an economy with double the inflation.

Lets say Country X has a minimum wage of 100 units per hour and a candy bar costs 10 units, then there is Country Y with a minimum wage of 200 units per hour and a candy bar costs 20 units. There's no difference.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If I am making under $10 an hour, I ain't buying candy bars, dummy. I can steal them for free.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Your example would seem to presume that everyone makes the minimum wage.

9. harbinger

harbinger Member

The national minimum wage in 1999 was $5.15 an hour (that supercedes the $4.90 Washington minimum wage at the time).

Employers generally are going to hire the minimum number of people needed to run their businesses, no matter what the minimum wage is. I'd rather have a higher minimum wage so that those who have jobs will be better able to pay bills.

10. Grimace

Grimace Guest

I thought more money=more spending=equals better economy?

Isnt' that the idea behind tax cuts and trickle-down economics? I'm confused.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think I got that question wrong on the SATs.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I suppose it easier than supporting a family on $0 per hour, which is what happens when there aren't any jobs for people to at least find some work.....

Oh but wait, I forgot, this is the Obama-fication of America which states, don't worry about finding a job -- the government will make sure you get that check every month!!!!

So you are right, having no work is the preferred choice of many......

Draft saved Draft deleted