1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mind That Bird

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by copygoldleader, May 14, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

@bettors: F U, luv MTB

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sad to say, it probably hasn't.

Yes, we have fewer eyes to catch things. But we also have fewer pages, fewer stories.

So it's not like a copy editor who was editing 10 stories before is doing 20 now. He's still editing 10 . . . it's just that those 10 are half the stories in the paper instead of 25%-35%.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I'm amazed how often I see "Alex Rodriquez" in copy ...

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hell even the legendary voice calling the Derby itself couldn't get the name right...and barely mentioned MTB at all!

http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2009/05/05/mine-that-bird-shocked-everyone-including-announcer-tom-durkin/

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

It has to be right, because I haven't seen it any other way, but Pioneerof the Nile was seriously messing me up during Derby week.

6. The reason there is no space between pioneer and of is due to a rule that says horse names can't be longer than 18 characters (including spaces) so that the name will fit on the racing form

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The Times put in the extra space in their Preakness recap. I'm not debating you. I'm just noting that it looks like someone at their desk noticed the missing space too.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Absolutely correct, sir. And UPChip, if the Times put that space in there, then the Times copy editors did something they absolutely shouldn't have, and considering he has been around as a high-profile Triple Crown prospect for a number of months now, I'm really surprised.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yep, that's wrong.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I really, truly hope that this wasn't some high-minded New York Times deal where it somehow thinks it's better than that and simply refuses to introduce a "typo" into its sports section, no matter how correct it is.

Also, it's possible that's how it came from the writer. You'd still hope it was caught, though.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Did someone call? ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted