1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mind That Bird

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by copygoldleader, May 14, 2009.

1. copygoldleader

copygoldleader New Member

In the Houston Chronicle today, Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird was misspelled Mind That Bird when listing the Preakness field and their odds despite being next to an article that had Mine That Bird in the subhead.

I was curious to see how many “Mind That Bird” typos there were so I searched the exact phrase in Google and came back with 63,500 results.

Some of the highlights:

Washington Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/05/02/AR2009050202294.html

The Star-Ledger
    http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/izenbergcol/index.ssf/2009/05/rachel_alexandra_is_filly_wort.html

Idaho Statesman
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/NationalSports/story/769621.html

The Idaho Statesman hasn’t run the photo correction as evidenced by The Boston Globe.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/horse_racing/articles/2009/05/13/rachel_alexandra_adds_girl_power_to_preakness/

Of course given the state of the industry, none of this is surprising as editing goes by the wayside and we all know the daily struggle with terribly written photo captions.

2. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Strange thing about Google, if you misspell a name, it brings up stories spelling the name the way you did it....for instance, try "Lary Bird".....or "Min That Bird"

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This is a common mistake that is not caused by the industry's current woes. You'll find simple mistakes like this throughout the history of newspapers. Care to guess how many times Bill Bidwill's name has been misspelled?

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Made that very mistake when covering my first Cardinals training camp ...

5. couldn't disagree more

there've always been typos and spelling errors

the fewer deskers you have, the fewer errors get caught

do you actually believe layoffs and cutbacks haven't hurt the quality of editing and copyediting and proofreading?

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's a question of degree, and the issues have clearly multipled, exponentially. SI is as good an example as you will find.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Hopefully, these stories weren't doing lame comparisons to Seebiscuit.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

... Then the heavens opened, the rain pouring down, the lightning flashing, and they rushed for cover of the stables, leaving alone on his side near a pile of bricks, the rain running off his hide, dead an hour and a quarter after his first start, Air Lit, son of Bold Ventura, full brother of Assualt.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I believe calling the horse Mind That Bird is the kind of error that has happened since the first newspaper was printed off.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The gelding is fuckin' pissed, too.
    First, pissed about being a gelding. (This would generally piss anyone off).
    Secondly...Well, I can't get past the first one.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No respect.
    Loses his rider to a FILLY, wins the Derby and isn't the favorite in the Preakness, has no NADS and now this?
    That horse is probably shit-faced by now, telling everybody "mind THIS, mu-fugga."

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't really mine the error.

Draft saved Draft deleted