1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Milwaukee's Garry Howard elected to APSE post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jun 5, 2007.

1. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

After all the losers (in the political arena) I have backed in various elections over the past couple of decades, it's a pleasure to have finally cast a ballot for someone who actually won.

Howard is fun to be with and a delight to debate over a beer. I once spent an hour debating the Robinsons with him (Glenn vs. David). It was a pretty animated discussion, and even though we were on opposite sides (I like David, he backed Glenn), it was a hoot just to get his perspective.

I think he'll do wonders for APSE.

2. I often wonder how much better the New York Daily News sports section would be if Garry, one of my all-time favorites, got the job instead of Leon Carter, the Lupica sycophant.

3. dcdream

dcdream Member

Well to judge both, look at the APSE Top 10s between the two. LC has a boat load of them. Not sure GH has earned any. Do the research.

4. boots

boots New Member

Garry and Leon are two completely different people. Garry could do Leon's job and win the same amount of awards, if not more. Having worked with both, I consider Garry better than Leon as an overall administrator. Leon is an excellent wordsmith and does know the business. Both papers are fortunate to have those two handling their sports sections.

5. Hey, asshole: Do you know either of them? I know both, and I'd rather work for Garry, and I think Garry would be just as successful in Carter's job -- and people would like him more. Off with your head!

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Hey guys, take it down a notch. Yes, both Garry and Leon are both awesome at what they do. I'm familiar with DCDream, and know Garry and Leon, and this isn't a fight worth having. All three are good guys who do great work.

7. boots

boots New Member

I wouldn't say that Leon is awesome. He does the job and is working with a good cast. He's a professional.

8. dcdream

dcdream Member

This is not a fight worth having. I was just making the point to correct the person stating that he thinks Garry could do a better job in NYC.
    I know both real well and would thrive in any market.

I dont know why people I know try to pit the two of them against each other when they are in fact like brothers...

I never hear anyone in this forum try to pit The NY Times over LA Times sports editors or if Mike Fannin would do better in Dallas than in KC.

Draft saved Draft deleted