1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Milwaukee's Garry Howard elected to APSE post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Garry Howard, the assistant managing editor/sports at the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, has become the first African-American elected to a officer position with the Associated Press Sports Editors.

"I am very happy to have been elected," Howard said on the APSE's official Web site. "As an African American, it brings a lot of pride to me and it says a lot about my colleagues."

http://apse.dallasnews.com/news/2007/060507howardelected.html

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Congrats to Garry. I've heard nothing but good things about him from some buddies at the Journal-Sentinel.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Congratulations to Garry. He spoke at the Southwest APSE conference last year and was a very dynamic speaker. By far the best speaker I have ever heard at one of those meetings, plus he was hysterical during breakfast on Mother's Day I spent with him and two others.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Meet Garry at an API seminar. Most of the week was a drag but was actually fun to listen to. He seemed really passionate about what he does. Congrats to him.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

His sessions this year at Poynter were among the very best this year's summit had to offer. Congratulations to a most deserving individual.

6. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

After spending time with Garry at the Poynter deal, I decided Old School wasn't sufficient to describe his philosophy, demeanor, and charisma. Add a letter: Bold School!

7. Good, good man. And I'm not afraid to admit this - even though he might not even realize it - but he saved my journalism career.

8. boots

boots New Member

Garry took a hit a while back saying "it's payback time" A lot of people took that to mean something to the effect that minorities were going to 'turn back the clock." Garry's good people and the honor is well deserved. It shouldn't matter what the color of his skin is.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Who ever said it did? No one's post, except Webby's, mentioned his race. Until you chimed in, that is. ::)

10. patchs

patchs Active Member

Know Gary from APSE, and I know he'll do a great job.
    Congrats.

11. Garry's great. His election should definitely liven things quite a bit at APSE conventions. Good for him.

12. andykent

andykent Member

The Sports Summit at Poynter was my first exposure to Garry, and between the opening session and my official introduction to him in the lobby immediately after, I concluded that I already had gotten my money's worth.

This is definitely a very well-deserved honor for Garry and I only wish I was in a position to attend the APSE convention in St. Louis just to see how lively things will indeed get.

Congrats! ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted