1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel -- Green Bay Packers reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many big papers have been able to keep two top-tier NFL writers for 20+ years? In this age where most of the top talent has been raided by ESPN and the other websites, they've kept the same two lead guys on that beat. How many papers have one NFL writer as good as either of the two guys the JS has? They're probably paying these guys a fortune to keep them, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt if they want to bring along a young guy to go with two of the best veterans around.

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Valid point and maybe I'm just bitter, because I did apply for the job when Bedard left and they hired Dunne. I also applied for the Green Bay Press-Gazette job when they hired Kareem Copeland, who since left. It's just disappointing because I would love to live back in my home state and would not bail on these outlets after a year for "greener pastures."

3. Mizzougrad96

Is Copeland at NFL Network or is he just freelancing for them?

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I think Ron has a good point, though. Suppose they keep hiring young guys who have no intention of sticking around? Then in five or six years McGinn retires and Silverstein gets scooped up by ESPN.com or someone like that. Where will the JS be then?

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Copeland is just freelancing for NFL.com as one of the "Around the League" writers.
    He moved to Indianapolis to get married. His fiance had a pretty good job in Indy, so he left the Press-Gazette.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I met her when they were both in Jackson, and let's just say I'd move to Timbuktu if I had a chance to be with her.

7. sm72

sm72 Member

I know they have no intention of making this a revolving door kind of job. That's just the way it worked out with the last two young guys. This time around, they want someone who they can mold and who will stick. Best of both worlds.

Also, ask anyone who reads the Journal Sentinel if they thought Dunne was too young or underqualified given the job he did. I'd love to hear about the reaction you get.

8. old_tony

Dunne does great stuff, and I've told him so to his face. But young hotshots coming out of college do not view living in Green Bay as their longterm destiny now matter how much prestige the Packers represent in the NFL.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's not just Green Bay, OT. Patriots beat writers for both Boston papers have bailed for the NFL Network or ESPN as soon as possible in the past few years, too. It's where the money is.

10. Mizzougrad96

Hard to imagine McGinn ever retiring. I would assume if Silverstein wanted to go to ESPN, he'd be there already.

11. old_tony

I don't doubt that part of the equation. But let me ask you this: Would I be wrong guessing they might both still be living in Boston to do those jobs?

When you get to the NFL beat at Boston papers, you're probably going to be sought out by NFL Network and ESPN. And if you take the job, you might still be able to live in Boston depending on what kind of assignments you're doing. Having been to Boston, I'm pretty sure you're not taking the new job to get out of Boston. Green Bay, on the other hand ... is a great place to raise a family, but hardly a career-destination city.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Ian Rapaport moved to Dallas. Albert Breer stayed in Boston.

Draft saved Draft deleted