1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Milwaukee J-S's editors take to the mound

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

To last that long as a SE at a paper like that (a great one), he's doing something right...

2. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

You people are way too cynical. Can't people have fun? And in addition, that's Garry's personality. He seems like a decent man. Boy, some on here take themselves way too seriously. It's SPORTS folks.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, I actually had some of that reaction.

But I didn't articulate it because -- well, sorry, I'm big on not taking ourselves too seriously, but this just seemed to be a bit much.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ace is so missing the boat trying to work for the PD...

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Garry Howard or Michael Irvin?

Just awful.

6. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

You're hired????

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

So, I can go ahead and wear that (Team Name) Wrestling t-shirt the coaches gave to me at the end of the season? Cool. I was wondering what I was going to do with that.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No, it's journalism. And as journalists, we 1) aren't part of the fuckin' team, 2) are supposed to avoid conflicts of interest in our coverage and 3) are supposed to refuse gifts, favors and special treatment that compromise professional integrity.

Funny how that never seems to apply to the bigwigs, only to the grunts on the front lines.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Leaving ethics aside, having prominent members of one's organization take delight in making fools of themselves at a mass public gathering is hardly good public relations strategy.
    What percentage of fans thought "Wow, that guy looks like a horse's ass"? My guess is that it's a substantial number.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Rather than assuming the above, I'd be more interested in a poll of staffers from within the walls there. My anecdotal evidence in talking with many of them through the years is that the SE's marks would be low in many categories.

To last a long time somewhere even if you suck is no big deal, if your boss is disinclined to admit that he made a mistake in hiring you. Or doesn't see the mistake the way the grunts see and deal with it every day. Or feels that dealing with the fallout of making a change would be worse than dealing with the death by a thousand cuts of enduring your act.

This board is proof enough that, at least according to many posters here, a lot of people in this business suck but have held their jobs for a quite a while. Longevity alone is no proof of competence.

11. No, it's newspapering. A craft that's supposed to come with both professionalism and a code of ethics. Sports is just what a lot of us cover.

12. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Who was doing that in the video? You are criticizing Garry and the antics" of the video. Don't make that leap suggesting any of us, including me, would condone wearing a team shirt to cover an event. The video chronicled an outside-of-sports editor throwing out the first pitch. It was done tongue-in-cheek. Should they get all librarian on the readers? No. Have some fun with it. And they tried. It turned out more Carrot Top than Andy Kaufman but it was humorous in its own way.

Draft saved Draft deleted