1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Milwaukee J-S's editors take to the mound

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Apr 14, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, hell. No harm, no foul, right?

Sure do hope those idiots in the guild accept the nearly 7 percent pay cut, right, Marty? Either that or you'll cut 15 more people.

But hey, there's a ballgame to go to so you can mug for the cameras. Gotta drive that Web traffic with insightful, newsy videos!

And I honestly can't even wrap my mind around what a tool Howard is. He's been exposed on here SO many times and yet, he still surprises me with how low he can go. Congratulations, Garry. You're a joke to most people in the business.

That staff, which wisw spoke of above, deserves better on every level.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Same here. Couldn't finish it.

That was turrrrrible. [/barkley]

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Love how we get the edit from this bozo walking to the mound, his "Kaiser 09" on the back of his Brewers jersey on full display, to the shot of the scoreboard identifying him as the paper's editor and Editor & Publisher's "Editor of the Year."

Nice choices made all around.

Also, is that Eddie Murphy as the jackass from Shrek providing the clever commentary? Or just an underling sucking up again?

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Isn't that the J-S SE providing the commentary? I could be wrong.

5. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Nice Brewers hat. Nice Brewers jersey. Nice autograph session.

Seriously, I could stomach the publicity value of a publisher throwing out a first pitch -- it's not altogether that much worse than having your paper have a huge ad on the outfield wall or as a TV/radio sponsor. But show up in a shirt and tie, and wearing your newspaper's logo on the ballcap if you're going to do it.

I've been in newsrooms where the sports editor was wearing a tie with the local NFL team's logo all over it (disgraceful in any context) -- how can you take objectivity seriously when it comes down from the top like that?

Just to be clear, I can't put an Obama sticker on my car or a sign in my front yard, but this stuff is kosher.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm stunned by this. I can't believe anything like this would ever happen. ;D

[​IMG]

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Is there really any fundamental difference between this and accepting any swag from a team, down to free parking or food in the press box?

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

wow! nice!

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Who's the lady in the video? Is that the publisher?

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Might be Marty's wife.

Marty's a good guy; I'm a little surprised by this whole thing.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

This is far different than using free media parking. Reporters are parking there while en route to work, to cover a game. This kind of stunt is for the entertainment and ego gratification of the journalists involved. As for food in the press box, many teams now charge for that food.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I knew you'd be by, Mizzou. Appreciated.

Draft saved Draft deleted