1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Milwaukee J-S, Packers beat team

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by nmsports, Feb 18, 2011.

1. nmsports

nmsports Member

From J-Jobs

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is seeking an experienced, versatile, hard-working reporter to join our team that is covering the Super Bowl-champion Green Bay Packers.

The ideal candidate will be an excellent reporter and writer adept at developing sources; writing with insight, clarity and flair; juggling the demands of breaking news for both print and online; blogging and interacting with readers through various social media; and embracing new forms of technology and media that help the Journal Sentinel expand its audience.

The Journal Sentinel's team on the Packers beat includes veteran reporters Bob McGinn, Tom Silverstein and Lori Nickel. The ability to work with them and others in a collaborative and complementary way is important.

Applicants for this job also must be aware that covering the Packers and the NFL is an arduous year-round job, with off-season mini-camps, free agency, the draft and training camp all very important to readers in addition to the season itself. A strong work ethic is necessary. Experience covering the NFL is preferred but not necessary.

The job is based in Green Bay and the person filling it will be expected to live in the Green Bay area.

Applications should be in writing to Mike Davis, Assistant managing editor/sports and digital development, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, 333 W. State Street, Milwaukee, WI 53203 mdavis@journalsentinel.com

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Mil J-S

Bedard's old job. Big shoes to fill.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wonder how the potential for a lockout affects this? I can't fathom anyone making a major hire unless/until they know there will be a season. Only so many collective bargaining agreement negotiation stories out there.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mark, the thing is the lockout will end suddenly if it happens and if it does end. So it'd be better for the paper to begin the search process ASAP and get as far along with it as they can. They can have a person in mind for the hire without hiring them. They could tell said person we want you on July 1, August 1 or whatever. Said person may not wish to deal with that, but it's perfectly legit from the paper's point of view.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree totally. But I'd surprised if they pulled the trigger until something is known.

6. WerenCole

WerenCole New Member

I bought my father a subscription to their stellar insider Packers coverage. He would love it if I actually covered the team though it is not for me. Best of luck to those who apply.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

But I can also see JS hiring someone now, if only to ensure that whenever the season starts, the writer hits the ground running. Like WerenCole, I bought my father a subscription to the Insider coverage. Of all the writers, Bedard had the most interaction with fans via chats, etc. Silverstein took on more of that role after Bedard left, but I imagine he will happily give that role to the new hire. The type of Packers fans who are willing to pay for premium coverage will not have much patience for a slow on the job learning curve.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Hey, anybody hear anything about this?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Let me check my sources and I'll get back with you. Am sure they want someone with integrity.

10. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

A young up-and-comer

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Year-round coverage doesn't mean quitting two months into the job.

12. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Someone who'll drop everything for an opportunity like this

Draft saved Draft deleted