1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Milwaukee buyouts offered, layoffs pending

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Most of the big papers I know of have been offering buyouts that are one week's pay per year worked there. I know of one that was twice that. Some are even offering bonuses and a year's worth of benefits...

Milwaukee is union and usually in those cases they'll force the most recent hires out... I hope that's not the case here...

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Talked to a friend who works there. It's definitely not going to be the recent hires, mizzou. The only people eligible are those who have been there 10 years or more.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I dunno, doesn't strike me as being all that subtle, really.

If you wander over to the jobs board, you'll notice that St. Louis is advertising for an opening created by their recent buyouts. On the surface, that would appear to defeat the purpose.

4. Mizzougrad96

Papers are buying out some employees that are on the verge of retirement... More than once these buyouts have had more takers than papers needed...

As far as Milwaukee is concerned, obviously they're only targeting the older employees with buyouts, but if they don't find any takers, the recent hires will be the first ones on the chopping block... I doubt it will get to that...

5. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I guess they don't think the staff "works smarter" enough. ::)

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If it did, though, that would be bad news for a recently hired Packers beat writer, then?

7. That would suck for Greg.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

That's why we all better be careful about taking jobs at Guild papers these days. Given all the shrinkage, with more on the way, the last in almost always is the first out. Another reason for management to either sweeten buyouts of deadwood or bust union entirely.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Seems like Guild papers are the ones that aren't being all Pollyanna, though, and actually fighting for survival. Lots of other shops are just bending over and taking it up the behind.

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

It seems as if the bigger papers are wanting younger talent but then release people who have been at the paper longer than 10 years. Is that the way all buy-outs happen?

11. Mizzougrad96

A lot of times they want to get rid of the dead weight. Not to stereotype, but some of the time those who fall into that category are the older employees. I know that's not always the case, but sometimes it is...

These days, I think it's more about cutbacks and if you can cut the dead weight that's what most papers want to do...

12. wild_will

wild_will New Member

Just go to a market that's not in the midwest.

Draft saved Draft deleted