1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Million Dollar Baby on AMC

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Jun 27, 2008.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I find it very hard to believe that, according to IMDB voters, there are 123 movies better than this one.

What an incredible movie.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

is it still on?

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

It's fucking incredible, and, while I am always hesitant to paint with a broad brush, the people who have a problem with the ending are mongoloid retards. Sorry if you were expecting "Girl Rocky".

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I was talking to a friend who asked me if I turned in my man card for loving it. Just wow.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Believe me, by the time you wake up in the morning the haters will be out in force on this thread. Guaranteed. And they'll be just as wrong as they always are.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I hate Eastwood. Can't stand him.

But that movie's well-played, and the internal pacing of the piece is exquisite.

It's a better movie than The Aviator. Not even close.

7. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

MDB is one of several outstanding movies that I have trouble watching completely.

The part until the injury is awesome. After that, it is just hard to watch because it is just too sad.

Another movie along the same lines is Full Metal Jacket. The scenes during basic training are outstanding leading up until the murder-suicide ("What is your major malfunction?") Then they head to Vietnam and it is hard to watch. . . almost two different movies. Very realistic, but hard to watch.

8. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I owe MDB sincere gratitude for instigating a conversation between my mother and myself that included this nugget: "Don't worry Mom. The moment you go into a coma I'm having the plug pulled."

9. Fantastic movie.

Of course now, everytime I think or hear about Million Dollar Baby, it always takes me back to the episode of The Office when the workers are sharing death experiences, and Pam talks about her aunt who was a boxer.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I feel the same way about both of those movies -- only I can actually watch "both" A-side and B-side of Full Metal Jacket, one of my all-time favorite movies. But you're right in that it's almost like two different films.

Million Dollar Baby, however ... I love, love, love the first half (until the injury.) But the second half, while incredibly good, is so excruuuuuuuuciating that it's painful. I just can't get through it.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

It still blows my mind that Hilary Swank got fired from Beverly Hills 90210 and then, IN HER VERY NEXT ROLE, was the overwhelming Oscar winner for Boys Don't Cry. What are the fucking odds of that? Going from getting fired from a has-been TV show filled with has-beens (hey, I can like the show and recognize its inherent suck...BTW the Swank episodes are airing right now) to Oscar winner?

And then she did it again five years later.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

One of my favorite actresses today. Cannot WAIT until her Amelia Earhart biopic comes out.

Draft saved Draft deleted