1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Millennials offended at being portrayed as easily offended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TyWebb, Aug 11, 2016.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I must admit, my wife has pulled this one. My daughter tried, but she gets nowhere with me.

Me? I still think we should be celebrating the mother on a kid's birthday. They did all the work. They suffered the pain. All the baby did was show up.

I started wishing my mother a Happy Giving-Birth Day when I as a kid and never stopped. Of course, we celebrate my daughter's birthday because my idea has not caught on, but little OOP does wish her mother a Happy Giving-Birth Day. She even made her a card this year.

By the way, I know this is sort of the justification for mother's day, but what about women with more than one child? She went through labor more than once. She gets more than one day.

(My apologies for the tangent. My mother would have turned 70 tomorrow, so I'm probably a little extra worked up about the topics of mothers and birthdays.)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    Donny in his element likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

In my circle I find that the "birthday week" bit generally involves someone who: A) either doesn't have kids or doesn't have any handy; and B) has a wide circle of kid-less sorts. So the birthday guy/gal does something with X on Monday, Y on Wednesday and Z on Friday, with these days being the only days those folks were, individually, available.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm surrounded by millennials in my office and am just flabbergasted. Makes me think back to my mid/late 20s and wondering if I was that self-centered. I'd like to think I wasn't, and there's no social feed from back then to prove it, so I'm sticking to it.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Generation Zod: I will kneel before my screen.

I Should Coco likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Almost certainly, you were.

I worked in an office full of millennials last year. It was a lot of fun. They're much less concerned about getting to the next life checkpoint than I was in my 20s. In retrospect, I could have used more of that.***

***Easy to say now, and dismisses that much of my good fortune in my 40s owes to some forward-looking moves I made back then about finances and career.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe because I have a millennial daughter, but I don't get the angst. I find the a lot of these kids kind of refreshing. I like that they generally seem to be able to think independently and are willing to challenge a lot of the cultural norms. They'll be wrong on some of it, sure, but they'll be right about a lot of it, too. I read a story a few days ago about how, as a group, millennials not taking on nearly as much debt as previous generations and have very different attitudes about using credit and owning a lot of stuff. Makes sense for people who lived through 9-11, saw their families get socked by the financial crisis and are already carrying a ton of college tuition debt.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I turned 25 in 1993. I was totally that self-centered, and probably then some, but I didn't have a megaphone to tell a worldwide audience about it. And thank all the deities for that.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I was just as selfish and just as obnoxious 20-25 years ago. Just didn't have the outlets to demonstrate my acid personality as I would now.

A good point from earlier. Even at 24, I was always focused on the next step, on sharpening skills. That drive didn't lead to financial reward right away but it DID put me in position for much higher paying jobs when I hit 33 because I had helped run newsrooms instead of getting drunk every night.

The connections I made in my 20s (with people in their 30s) have helped sharply 15-20 years later because I did have a good rep.

cjericho likes this.
  10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I like how so many of them aren't obsessed with new cars and big houses. They seem to be more into experiences and I think that's cool.

Just not the weeklong birthday celebrations where they think they're Sex in the City but much fatter and not as wealthy.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Good job millennials, MRSA can be transmitted through bar soap.

Draft saved Draft deleted