1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Millennials offended at being portrayed as easily offended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TyWebb, Aug 11, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

All I ask is people put more than 10 seconds of thought into naming each generation.

As an X-er, I feel like that name fits us pretty well. Or did, at one point.

But just going through the rest of the alphabet for ensuing generations is just plain lazy. It's the "[insert scandal]-gate!" of the generational naming world.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Anyone have grown adults on the Facebook feed (I hate to sound sexist, but usually these are females) who celebrate their "Birthday week?" Like this is some sort of week-long Mardi Gras of your birth. Dinner one night, club the next, some live music the next. And this is all posted to social media, of course. Look, man, there's one way you should be celebrating the entire fucking week of your birth: If your mom was in labor with you for the entire goddamned week.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You know who gets off easy? The Silent Generation. You don't hear us Baby Boomers blaming every crappy thing that happens in our lives on them, right? They get a free pass on the nuclear bombs, the Cold War, rampant pollution, feeding us processed foods, ugly, unimaginative split-level and ranch houses, etc.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm a Gen Xer with babies late in life, our first kids.
    We are not doing the elaborate birthday thing and refuse to be guilted into it.
    I was on the phone with my brother several weeks ago, and he said his wife was asking about our plans for the boys' first birthday party because she needs to request time off from work.
    I told him we're not planning anything BECAUSE THEY ARE 1 YEAR OLD!
    You want to drive four hours for twin 1 year olds' birthday party? Be my guest. Happy to have you, but you'll be the only people there beside me, their mother and their grandmother who lives in the same town as us.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

With regard to generation labels, I just point out that the term 'Millennials' has stuck over Gen Y and Pew is still feeling out multiple labels for the post-millennial generation.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I wonder if I could use the "Just wasn't feeling it" reasoning for why I didn't change the toddler's pooptastic diaper after my wife asks me to do it. The couch says, "Bring your pillow."

Batman likes this.
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You're right. The Boomers never criticized their parents or grandparents.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

People try to puh-puh-puh-puh-put us down....

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Don't trust anyone over 30!

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I was born on the late edge of what folks are calling the Baby Boomers. Would a man bun be enough to bump me into the next-youngest generation? Or would I need to add an overly groomed beard and a bicycle messenger's bag?

12. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Those born at the end of the '70's have memories of a simpler, less automated world -- as in high school without the internet, television free of "reality" TV, foreign policy defined by the Iron Curtain, little kid birthday parties where parents weren't obligated to attend, toys without warning labels, popular music long before SpiceBrittSyncBoyz -- completely foreign to folks who are just a few years younger.
    To me, a millennial is anyone who can't remember all the above.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    Bradley Guire likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted