1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Millennials offended at being portrayed as easily offended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TyWebb, Aug 11, 2016.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Yeah, it has been kind of interesting to read and hear about. Since Gen Z is the first truly "mobile generation," never lived in a time without the internet or cell phones), these companies are focusing only on ways to get on the screens they are constantly holding and making everything happen on those screens. I'm mostly focused on mobile payments, but there are so many other companies now struggling to move everything they can from their desktop experience to a mobile app.

There does seem to be an interesting difference between Gen Z and Millennials in that respect. A lot of what I've read about millennials talks about how they want a story or a cause behind the products they support, while Gen Z is more interested in speed and convenience. Put it on my phone or I don't want to hear about it.

But then again, we are talking about 16 year olds here. They are about as predictable as the wind.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Millennials are broke. Don't market to them.

3. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Make sure millennials get their birthday's off, their significant other's birthday's off, and their BFFs.

exmediahack likes this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

And their dog's ... for God's sake don't forget that.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think I'll love the term "special snowflake" when I'm 125 years old.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

No fucking shit.

The younger people I work with will all fly somewhere and meet for someone's birthday. They'll snap pictures of their dinners, their cheesecake dessert, an artsy 60 degree angle shot of their appletini but never a picture of, ultimately, their loneliness at the end of the night.

Get off my lawn.

I Should Coco likes this.
  7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

What causes "Gen Z" phone-related idiocy?
    Jagoff parents who insist that their special snowflake(s) must have a phone right outta the womb.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Oh, and don't waddle onto my fucking lawn when ex throws you off his.

exmediahack likes this.
  9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

As much as our American tradition of blaming the next generation is a hallmark of our culture, how much of this is on parents?

I've long said that The Greatest Generation fought off the Nazis and the Japanese and then... returned home to be out-of-touch fathers and overbearing mothers. They parented the Baby Boomers, the most affluent but also the most selfish generation of people ever to walk the earth.

The Baby Boomers, with their casual divorces and willingness to chase money over actually raising children during their formative years, led to millions of latchkey kids (my generation). Some were told they were special snowflakes as a substitute for why Mom was out drinking and whoring around or why Dad left to go chase secretaries (or, in my case, far worse). I've come to grips that both of my parents are selfish assholes for different reasons - true products of their generations. One is lonely in a desert but claiming everyone else is the problem. The other is serving 6 years in a prison.

Add in the social media element where, it seems, people under 30 have to prove online that they are loved on their birthdays with elaborate drunk trips to big cities where they act like Carrie Bradshaw, only without humor, grace and the man of their dreams as part of the evening.

A few days ago, our daughter (now 11) and I were in the city I grew up in. She wanted to see the house I lived in as a child. We did that and about a mile north is a McDonald's that has been there forever.

Me: "I had two birthday parties there. Once, turning 5 and the other when I turned 6."

Her: "What?? You had a birthday party at McDonalds?"

Me: "There weren't a lot of options back then. Friends would come and bring gifts and get a Happy Meal or something."

Amid her shock over this, we talked about birthday celebrations in general. I thought back to some of her birthdays that took a lot of planning - say, a mall excursion to Build a Bear when she turned 6 - to having our son throw out a first pitch at a baseball game. Yeah, I guess I'm guilty of facilitating the damn elaborate birthdays.

In recent years, we've tried to keep it simple for our kids. Movies or an amusement park with three or four others max. I'm fortunate in that we don't have children who "want" for too much in terms of material possessions or expensive experiences. I've shelled out for World Series/ALCS and Taylor Swift tickets but those experiences didn't center on them.

I guess my 50 minute session is up. Let's pick this up again next week and send me the bill...

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This. Young people do/say stupid shit. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Don't you dare try to deny me my turn at complaining about young people! I just got to the age where I can!

dixiehack and old_tony like this.
  12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

My apologies. I'll remove myself from your lawn!

TyWebb likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted