1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Millennials offended at being portrayed as easily offended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TyWebb, Aug 11, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If I'm hiring a 25-year-old, you can bet your ass I'm hiring someone who doesn't want to be in that position in 2-3 years.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Anyone under 30 isn't worth listening to, regardless of generation.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, you know, these are "exciting and challenging times."

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

What's a performance review.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's all about synergy.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, let's look at our common experiences from newspapers. If you hire a 25-year-old for your NFL beat, where do you hope he wants to be in 2-3 years?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't (or didn't when I was in the biz) typically see a lot of 25-year-olds on NFL beats. But yeah, if someone wants to stay at that high level, sure ... however, I'd expect that a person in that position would be looking for a bigger position (columnist, I guess takeout writer doesn't exist) or more likely a bigger market (ESPN/other TV affiliate etc.).

Regardless, the manager that won't hire someone because that person would have the gall to improve themselves and their position three years from now is a terrible hiring manager indeed.

Iron_chet likes this.
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

As long as you're paying them, if not, of course you're a stepping stone at that age.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

No argument there. Gotta pay to keep good talent. But along those lines, if I'm a hiring manager who wants to hire someone who plans on staying, then don't blame me for choosing the 38-year-old guy with just as solid a resume. Because I'm trying to fill this position long-term.

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

We're hiring thought leaders.

(And I think the term millennials will be around for quite awhile - at least until we get into the 21st Century Roaring Twenties.)

11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I'm actually working on an article about what certain financial institutions are doing to attract and retain younger customers. I started out focusing on this "millennial" generation, but more than a few people at large companies have told me that the time for attracting them has come and gone. They are already working on how to attract "Generation Z," which kinda blew my mind. They acted like millennials were not worth their time. So I guess there is some validity to what LTL and others are saying, that the fade of writing about and shitting on is almost up.

But I'm still going to enjoy it while I can, bunch of butthurt, special snowflake hipsters attached to their phones and their sense of entitlement.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I edit a national trade magazine and the hot stories have definitely shifted from "how to market to millennials" to "how to market to Gen Z." Apparently, Gen Z is a far larger generation -- I believe it's the largest ever by number -- and they are just about to get to buying/decision-making age.

Draft saved Draft deleted