1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Millennial Auto Theft Deterrent ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Oct 16, 2019.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Someone said the ultimate deterrent was a clutch because no one knows how to drive one anymore.

I learned 40 yrs ago in my dads truck, shifting from passenger side while my dad drove.

I just bought a clutch for first time since ‘89 and it’s a blast (07 Miata w hardtop Conv) with the top down. I guess I can leave it with key in since no one can drive them anymore.

anyone else drive a clutch anymore?

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Switched from manual to automatic 12 years ago.

Had a revelation back then when I had a loaner car for a few days while my car was in the shop. With the automatic I could make my commute through stop and go traffic without raging. Made the switch and I'm much happier for it.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Just about every rationale for manual (better mileage, better control, etc.) just does not apply in 2019, except for the unquantifiable "it's more fun" metric, which cannot possibly apply if you deal with stop-and-go traffic in any way.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I understand for sure; this is my 2nd car, still have a sedan for traffic.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

More like "Millennial Auto Text Deterrent."

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That’s true too. Less time to screw around while driving.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Millennials? Hell, I'm high-end Gen X and I can't steal a stick shift car, either.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Once had the "fun" of being at a stop sign on a steep hill in San Francisco in a VW Bus - kind of terryifying between the break, the clutch and the accellerator wishing I had three legs.

maumann likes this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I haven't driven a stick in probably 18 years. Was one of big reasons why I didn't rent a car while I was in the UK, because nearly everything was manual and I didn't need the stress of figuring out how to drive on the left side of the road while shifting with my non-dominant hand. International incident waiting to happen.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I hear they're pretty polite when you run them over, though.

[​IMG]

Cosmo likes this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That's when the emergency brake is your friend.

FileNotFound and Neutral Corner like this.
  12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Still have yet to own a daily driver that didn't have a clutch. And ... have joked for years that a vehicle with a manual is a form of theft deterrent, however unintentional.

Learn how to use a combination of the emergency, clutch and accelerator ... without frying the clutch and flywheel.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted