1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Millenial complains to CEO in open letter; finds out that the real minimum wage is $0

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 26, 2016.

1. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

To be fair, when you first move to the big, bad city, there's a huge learning curve. For example, at 23, I had absolutely no idea that such a thing as space heaters existed. I spent my first winter in London shivering at night - stupidly - under six layers of blankets.

Plus, these days the real estate market makes your margin for youthful ignorance that much less. In the 1990s, I paid the equivalent of seventy-five bucks a week for a dumpy but large room near the center of the city. From people I've known who lived in New York at the time, you hear about how it was much more affordable.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

It's complicated.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Still seems pretty smug and condescending. It's literally saying, "I sponged off my mom and took a job starting at sub-poverty level wages, I did it right." Not that I have any great qualms about how she did it, but to hold that up and declare yourself the picture of hard work seems quite smug.

The downside to how warm and fuzzy we get about crushing some mouthy kid is there's a lot of interesting topics that come out of both whiney screeds. What does it say about Yelp, how Yelp views its customers or really the state of customer service in general that an employee is making $3,000-$4,500 below a living wage for the area? How much do people underrate the service industry if a crappy hostessing job nets you $15 an hour in some markets? In some ways, these people were following similar paths of taking a job that paid very little at the start and working up to something better. One had the financial backing to do it, and found her crappy job paid between 20 and 27 percent better minimum on an hourly basis.

(Of course the first girl should've been better with money and honestly probably been looking for service work/a better job the whole time. She also doesn't detail the hours involved at her job and how long she'd been there, which makes it tricky to compare further)

Tweener and Smallpotatoes like this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I find it remarkable how a board full of victims and survivors of an industry in total meltdown that is directed by "Juncky" multi-millionaires falls all over itself to align with the multi-billionaires in another industry who are in battle with minimum-waged employees.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I'll take the side of a corporate leach over some millennial fuckhead who believes the world immediately owes them something because they have a bachelor's degree.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Because that exactly describes the two sides.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I wasn't speaking to you. When I need your opinion I will let you know.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Since you're a moron you'll always need my opinion.

Tweener likes this.
  9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This entire country has Stockholm Syndrome.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's because a lot of us were duped into thinking there was "nobility," or "a calling," in working our asses to the bone for peanuts.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As young journalists, we BRAGGED about how crappy the pay was because it showed how dedicated we were to the craft. And it was okay because no colleagues were making any money. I imagine this person's problem was that many of her peers were making significant cheddar in the industry, but they were in sales or tech - not delivery.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The corporate leeches have done a hell of a lot more damage to this country than the millennial fuckheads.

Draft saved Draft deleted