1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Millenial complains to CEO in open letter; finds out that the real minimum wage is $0

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 26, 2016.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This kind of stuff always reminds me of a line from Finding Forrester:

"You have a gift that should allow you to do remarkable things in life. That is, if you don't screw it up by being a 16 -year-old right now.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Regarding the original letter. I think her idea going in was not unreasonable (take a customer service job and hope to move up quickly).

But she should have realized the finances would not work for a whole year and dealt with that.

However, customer service jobs are very hard. You have to be at work on time or get fired. You have to be on that phone right away when it rings or you get fired. You have to handle all these people complaining properly or you get fired.

That's a stressful, thankless job. But those jobs exist in lots of industries.

Tweener likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But what does she eat for breakfast? Probably not cereal.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/24/dining/breakfast-cereal.html?_r=0

Sales, which totaled $13.9 billion in 2000, dipped last year to about $10 billion.

. . .

The dream of all these companies is to capture the all-powerful and elusive millennial eater, who just isn’t all that into cereal for breakfast. It’s just too much work, for one thing. Almost 40 percent of the millennials surveyed by Mintel for its 2015 report said cereal was an inconvenient breakfast choice because they had to clean up after eating it.

4. USA! USA! USA!

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

YOU'RE HIRED!!!

Ace likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Greatest Generation would have just gone and found another job.
    The Baby Boomers would have staged a protest (or written a song about it).
    Generation X would just quit, told their boss to F-it and maybe just not show up some day.
    The Millenials? They pen an open letter to the universe.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Big Cereal got fat and happy off the Gen X obsession with eating cereal.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Telling someone they are trash, and that they should be more like you, is by definition smug and condescending. I can get you a dictionary if you'd like.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

She said the girl was trash?

11. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

I'll turn 47 in a few months.
    The last time I had just one paying job was when I was in high school. No, I didn't walk to school uphill both ways in snow, but I did walk. It was only a few hundred yards.
    I had two jobs in college while playing two sports. I also had two jobs each summer — three during one summer.
    My first job out of college paid $14,000 a year, before taxes. I got a second job. One winter I had a third job.
    It helped that I lived in a very inexpensive apartment a block from work in a small town, but there were expenses.
    While I did build up credit card debt and had to get a couple deferments for my college loans, I eventually paid off those debts as I slowly made my way up the economic ladder.
    It can be done. It's not easy.
    Everyone wants to make more money. That doesn't mean you deserve a six-figure salary for an entry-level job right out of college.
    Know what you're getting into when you take a job in a major city.
    Cut your costs; having Internet, satellite/cable TV and a nice cell phone plan are nice, but not necessary.
    Set spending priorities and learn how to budget.
    Get a roommate or two, or live with your parents.
    Find a second job, or a better first one, or both.

cjericho likes this.
  12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I must admit, I've never looked at it from the other side of the desk, but Talia was working, not living on some sort of public assistance (though maybe she should have looked into that). Seems like she was willing to work. All she was asking was to be paid enough to make ends meet.
    Airing your dirty laundry the way she did wasn't wise, and the end result was predictable, however.
    I can understand hostility toward people who are able to work and choose to live off public assistance. I don't understand hostility toward people who do work and don't want to need to be on public assistance.

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted