1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Millenial complains to CEO in open letter; finds out that the real minimum wage is $0

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 26, 2016.

1. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

The whole economy of these pieces is getting pretty tired. Look at this young dumb person who thinks he or she is important. As if young people haven't been self important and dumb since time began. Then we laud someone for attacking them because look at how this good young person is putting the dumb one in her place. It's just theater to appease the urge to stare down one's nose and feel better than someone (and everyone loves that, even millennials).

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm just saying that walking into a bar, complaining and being immediately offered a job makes for a poor starting point for a "just work harder/BOOTSTRAPS!" shaming piece.

Tweener likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

SpeedTchr likes this.
  4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

People have been popping off and losing their jobs for as long as there has been employment, and I've never met a person who wasn't at least a little convinced that the world was set up unfairly because things aren't the way they want.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Watch her clear $30,000 with a GoFundMe campaign.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Wait, is this about Yelp or SJ.com?

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I think it just highlights that when it comes to millennials, there's a difference between those who were in the workforce when Lehman Brothers collapsed, those who were looking for work when the shit went down and those who were still going to their junior high dances at the time.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yep. One common thread throughout history is that every generation thinks the next one will bring the downfall of society, when in fact, there has been very little difference among all generations in terms of intelligence AND accomplishment.

If there's one thing Americans love to do, it's pointing out how awful everyone ELSE is.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

It ain't like they're rolling out a new model of human every generation. If you pulled people from the Greatest Generation off of Omaha beach and plopped them down in 2016, they'd be creating memes within a month.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Yes, BC, but I'm not sure that if you pulled the millennials out of Starbucks and dropped them at Omaha Beach they would be anywhere near as effective.

exmediahack, Big Circus and Vombatus like this.
  11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One thing that always strikes me on this whole topic is that the group complaining the loudest is always the immediately preceding generation -- a.k.a. the group that CREATED the very spoiled brats they're bitching about.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

They need a good old-fashioned Great Depression to toughen them up a little.

Draft saved Draft deleted