1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Millenial complains to CEO in open letter; finds out that the real minimum wage is $0

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The piece's fundamental assertion is that being offered a job by a bartender (a family friend, no less) out of the blue is equivalent to getting somewhere based on hard work and merit. It's unbearably smug and condescending.

I should note that I'm not defending the original piece.

Tweener likes this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

These women seriously think anyone is going to read THREE of these novellas?

Jesus. Talk about self-important longform writers who need editors...

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I remember one time after landing my first journo gig, after paying first and last at my new apartment, I had to borrow $20 from a good friend to get through the week. I was mortified. He didn't care, because he was a friend, but it just went against everything I believed in.

Listening to her, and the people she worked with beg, is just embarassing. I honestly feel bad for her. Not her situation (which I laughed at relentlessly), but the fact that she has no issue with this mentality. And if she was my daughter, I might change the locks on the family home. Then again, I can only assume her parents had a hand in this the-world-owes-me-because-I'm-me outlook.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I could do with out her picture with her smug smile and "any idea how fast you were going?" glasses, but a solid takedown regardless.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Then how would she follow the path of the "Hard worker" and live at home for a year?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

She was offered a hostess job. That's pretty much how those jobs are offered -- someone knows someone who needs a job.

It was neither clueless nor myopic, nor is it smug or condescending. It's an account of someone who needed money and went to work.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Seriously, this is all satire, right?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

When I saw the 36-year-old weigh in, the thought did cross my mind that all of these people are being paid to promote Medium.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When we get up to the 47 year old, I can document my hard knocks life. No extra charge for a few thousand extraneous words, as you all know.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

By Tuesday we'll have an 80-year-old telling them about walking to school in the snow, uphill, both ways.

HanSenSE and Steak Snabler like this.
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

You would think Millennials would be made of sterner stuff, what coming of age during a global recession and having no memory of peacetime. They are a fkn walking contradiction.

cjericho likes this.
  12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

There's always prostitution.

Draft saved Draft deleted