1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MILLEN FIRED!! Hallelujah!! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!! Hallelujah!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Re: Newest convert to the "FIRE MILLEN" forces: William Clay Ford Jr.

say what you will about the man the day he retired from the game and stepped into the front office, but to suggest he was anything other than a solid performer for nine years with the raiders is simply incorrect.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

What he said.

A starting linebacker on four different super bowl winners can't be that bad.

And apparently the analyst comment needed blue font, my bad.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

He should be shot because Brian Baldinger has emulated his broadcasting style.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Didn't say I didn't agree with you on the field. All I said was that the two don't equate -- and they don't.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

slap, do i have to write "sidebar:" every time i sidebar around here? if so, maybe it'd just be easier to "mainbar:" the few times i mainbar.

i wasn't making any connections, dog. just remembering back to a glorious day when the raiders didn't suck ass year after year.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

To be fair, very few teams had a shot to beat Washington that year. That was a very, very special team, arguably the best one Joe Gibbs ever coached. </Redskins fanboi looser>

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As a player, Matt Millen was excellent, both on the field and in the locker room. As an analyst, he was perhaps below average. As a general manager, he's an unmitigated disaster.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Millen (who I remember seeing play in college) wasn't a "bad" player, going on the presumption that nobody who actually makes an NFL roster is a truly bad player, so "worth a shit" was probably over the top.

But I've seen several references around Detroit and the national media that he was a "great" player.

Career totals: 9 years, 133 games, 11 sacks, 9 INT, 8 fumble recoveries.

That's not a "great" player. ::) ::)

And once again, had he really been a "great" player, one of these great teams would have kept him. His whole career was in the pre-salary cap era; if they felt like keeping him, they would have.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I think that's kinda what I said. Minus the obvious disaster part.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

millen never blitzed, ever. wasn't in his wheelhouse. and to see you list stats to support your claim only reassures me that you never watched the man play before he became a fucking 49er.

was millen a HOFer? no. was he one of the best players on the field every time he led a raider defensive unit? fuck yes he was, and don't attempt to sell the man short of what he earned.

the day he left oakland, the raiders lost something special. your spewing unsupportable bullshit is, well, bullshit.

i watched at least 90 percent of all raider games while this cat played for the silver and black. the man was an awesomefuckingmiddlelinebacker.

admit you stepped in shit and move on.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

the raiders sucked. fuck 'em. that is all.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

millen played for them while they still had the best record of any team in professional sports. they. did. not. suck.

yes, they suck now and have for some time. i'm man enough to admit that.

Draft saved Draft deleted