1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Milk

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Elliotte Friedman, Nov 29, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The original's good, under one condition: You better know the story damn well, because the movie glosses over a lot of details and moves too quickly through others. It was almost like speed-watching, but luckily I had just read the book right before I saw it, so I knew what was going on even though it wasn't explained well on screen.

Can't disagree with any of the above sentiments about the remade ATKM. The book remains one of my favorites, despite that.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I had to re-read it after seeing the movie because it was so bad. It's one of those books I seem to read almost once a year, so maybe I'll get back to it soon.

3. Along with The Last Hurrah and The Gay Place, one of the three best political novels ever, and ATKM is the top of the list.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

[​IMG]

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bad Boys was a pretty good flick.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Great film.

State of Grace is also one of my favorite performances of his.

Carlito's Way is an overrated film, but Penn is the best part of it.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

For a while, I thought Penn played the main gang leader against The Warriors in THE WARRIORS. But then I realized it wasn't. Just thought I'd share a bit of my younger ignorance.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Penn is now working on the Hugo Chavez story.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just saw Milk. Growing up in the Bay Area at the time it really did a good job at catching the era pretty well. Amazing to think how much society views gays have changed, and how they haven't. I found the opening newsreel footage especially sad.
    The movie was a little slow in the middle and omitted the Jonestown massacre entirely which is why metal detectors were installed at City Hall in the first place. But overall, I think it did a great job of capturing the themes. Brolin did a great job with Dan White, who just wasn't cut out for politics but "fit the suit."
    I'd really like to see government get out of the marriage business entirely. Have them issue civil union licenses to everyone and let churches do what they wish.

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Gotta disagree with that. Acting for film is so different from acting on the stage I think it's not a regurgitation at all. In many ways he would have to completely rethink his performance.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

In many ways. Not AS MANY ways, though.

12. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

In 1972, my mom was finishing her second year at Hastings Law School and had just had my older sister, when she met Harvey Milk. His camera store was right next to a bakery the my mom frequented, and they often exchanged pleasantries, particularly about my sister. My mom would often stop by his shop just to say hello, never really needing any camera equipment.
    As we sat through Milk today, in San Francisco, among several gay and lesbian couples who were likely in the city during Milk's run, I kept looking over at my mom, as she broke down several times.
    Granted, I was breaking down to, because Danny Elfman's score, just like all of Danny Elfman's scores, was pitch-perfect.
    But so was Sean Penn.
    I thought the movie was 100/100, and my mom just kept saying how Sean Penn was Harvey Milk. The love. The passion. The pure joy.

Draft saved Draft deleted