1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Milk

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Elliotte Friedman, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Better than Spicoli.

You might laugh, but time has shown that Spicoli is the biggest stretch of a role Penn has ever done. Milk second-biggest.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing I am Sam was a bit of a stretch as well... :)

Spicoli is his greatest role and nothing is even close.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Never go full retard.

4. Well, no.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm one of the few who didn't like Penn in Mystic River.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I never saw Shanghai Surprise, but I can't think of a single movie Penn was in where I didn't think he did a good job.

The Falcon and the Snowman is one of his more underrated performances.

7. Simon_Cowbell

It's inarguably, his biggest stretch.

He's a pretty humor-bereft guy.

8. Actually, F&S was the one I was going to mention, even before Mystic River, which I loved, and The Thin Red Line, which ditto. I agree that Spicoli's a hilarious character and he played him to the nines -- inventing Bill and Ted and Wayne and Garth on the way -- but I don't think it's the best work he ever did.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

How long will it be before James Franco poses for one of those "Got Milk?" commercials?

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

As a devotee of Lehane and Mystic River, I've got to think that's Penn's best performance.

I like the guy a lot, but his worst might be his turn as Willie Stark in All the King's Men. That horrible movie was a ruination of one of my favorite works of literature.

11. That was a misbegotten project from jump. I also wrecked my memory of the original movie.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Sad to say I never saw the original. I'm betting it's at my local lib though, I'll have to check it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted