1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Milk

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Elliotte Friedman, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Saw it last night. Very disappointed. Bo-ring.

The documentary movie was farrrrrrrrrr superior.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I saw Josh Brolin on Charlie Rose last night and after watching his interview I was looking forward to seeing it. I've heard that Penn's performance was great.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

John,

The acting is very good. Penn is underrated as one of the greats of his generation. But, the movie was surprisingly passionless. When it ended, there was a real lack of emotion in the audience.

Loved the Cronkite clips from the 70s, though.

There is one item about the film I'd love to discuss, but I'll wait until a more general release so as not to ruin it for anyone.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We tried to go yesterday, but as it turned out, the listing in the paper was for next Friday. As we walked up to the line outside the theater, I was thinking, funny, you'd never know by looking at them that most of these people are homosexuals. :) As it turned out, they were buying tickets for "Rachel Getting Married."

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Agreed.

Josh Brolin and Penn both deserve nominations, though.

Very much a procedural along the lines of Fincher's Zodiac.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think Penn is underrated. I think he's been widely recognized as one of the best actors working for the last 20 years.

I can't wait to see Milk.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The previews for Milk looked great. Josh Brolin has really busted out in the past couple years, hasn't he?

8. Mizzougrad96

My issue with Penn is that he makes some of the most depressing movies ever, both as an actor and a director.

Trivia: Other than Penn, which two Oscar winners were also in Fast Times at Ridgemont High?

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Forest Whitaker and Nicolas Cage.

Without even looking it up. :)

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Saw it and I agree it's not the knock-out punch I was expecting and hoping for.

Still worth your while, though.

11. Sly

Sly Active Member

I'm eager to see this, too, but I'm a bit apprehensive knowing that Van Sant directed it. He's been on my shitlist ever since I wasted two hours of my life watching Elephant.

12. Mizzougrad96

I believe you. The only reason that question can be hard is because people forget Cage's stint as "Stoner Bud" in that cinema masterpiece.

Draft saved Draft deleted