1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Milk (the movie)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

So you had to be a hick idiot to vote for Crash?
    Is that the message?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

No.

Just someone who knows little about the quality of film ... or a homophobe.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Brokeback Mountain was another alleged Hollywood "love story" in which the two principle characters had nothing in common, no apparent connection or chemistry and yet supposedly were "in love" because they met once a year and had sex.
    It was "Out Of Africa" with guys.
    Pretty scenery, no discernible truth to the story.
    A colossal bore.
    "Crash" was terrific and deserved the statue it got.
    Longtime Companion was a great film.
    Angels In America was some of the best TV I've ever seen.
    Brokeback Mountain was not good.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Crash was a pile of shit for people who love the coincidences and cliches piled on equally thick.

Brokeback Mountain was the best non-Best Picture winner I have seen in 15 years at least, and it was zip codes better than the schlock that tried to be Kasdan's Grand Canyon on roids.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Upset of the year that Mizzou hasn't joined this thread to tell us how excited he is to see this movie. :)

Oh, and best picture to not win best picture in the last 15 years? Toss up between Saving Private Ryan and Pulp Fiction.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, even though it was right in my wheelhouse, I had NO love for Brokeback. At all.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

No.

My point/message is that if Hollywood was a fraction as liberal as the hick idiot O'Reilly listeners say, Brokeback Mountain would have won in a landslide. Because it's about gay love, and Hollywood loves to shove gay love down our throat, or so say the hick idiots.

8. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Oh well, I thought this was about a Mad Cow epidemic.

I'll pass.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Of course you'll pass.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I'll buy that.
    I'll sell whatever Simon has on the market.
    It's not a contrivance, Mr. Cowbell, to put two cowboys on a mountain and have them decide to have sex, then to pretend they're "in love"?
    Crash was a clever take on how we're all interconnected despite our prejudices, it was tremendously written with tons of interesting dialogue and certainly well acted.
    Brokeback was well acted. I'll give it that. It was beautifully shot.
    It was, in the end, a movie with an empty soul.

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

If you ask me, and nobody ever would, I thought Brokeback was a better movie than Crash.

Crash was built on everything being interconnected but I thought that there were other movies that had such a concept on such an infinitely better level, Magnolia and Happiness. While the racial approach was devoid in the mentioned two, I think the overlapping of stories was far better written, covered and played out in those movies than Crash. Interestingly enough, Philip Seymour Hoffman was in both.

Brokeback had certain underlying feelings at play which were acted out instead of just stated (which Crash seemed to do). You had the conflicted feelings of the participants over whether what they did was right. You had the beards and children that were hurt. You had the occupational hazard and loss of next year’s summer job.

Crash, for all of its moral high ground on race, seemed to go for the formulaic approach and predictable outcome way too often.

Well, that was just my feeling. I’m not so sure that Brokeback should have won best picture either. I certainly wouldn’t have picked it. I wouldn’t have picked Crash either.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Could be I expected too much, could be I suffered from lack of suspense because I remembered much of the basic story. It held my interest and Penn was entirely believable as Milk. But the other characters were shallow props -- not necessarily the fault of the actors -- and the plot was a fairly predictable good guys vs. bad guys line. It wasn't a waste of $10, but it's not a film I think I'd want to see twice. As Hollywood generally does, they apparently sacrificed accuracy for story line. Interesting story in January in SF Weekly:

http://www.sfweekly.com/2008-01-30/news/white-in-milk/1

Draft saved Draft deleted