1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Militia seizes Federal building

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

They argued it was cruel and unusual.

If I recall, the judge found some way around it, but it got sent back on appeal and they were set to serve 5 years for a fire that got out of control. Even as I disagree with some of these folks, mandatory minimums remain kinda bad.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree, I wouldn't argue that mandatory minimums are cruel and unusual, but that they violate the separation of powers, (legislative dictating to judicial).

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Trump using pardons is painfully simple and obvious.

He found a toy he has absolute power to use. And as a bonus, he can use it to piss off political opponents. There is no thought process deeper than that.

As an extra perk, he can signal to his corrupt cronies in the Mueller probe that they should shut up and back him up.

Trump is about Trump. His critical thinking is as deep as a baby pool.

SnarkShark and Slacker like this.
  4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Why do you keep doing this, instead of using the quote function?

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I think this sums it up pretty well.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And certainly another kind of dog whistle to rally the base.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You get lollipops at the barbershop, not the dentist.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"Why do you keep doing this, instead of using the quote function?" ~ SnarkShark

Because for some reason the quote function stopped working on Firefox, this site only. I have no clue why. I still start with the quote button, and maybe once in 25 to 30 times it works. PITA. I suppose I could swap over to Chrome or something, but all my bookmarks and saved passwords and the like are on Firefox, so that's a pain as well.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Firefox has been messing with me lately, too. Because of some holiday/schedule conflicts, I did one of my recent classes online. I video-ed, in segments, about 2 hours worth of lectures and then posted those segments on our classroom management system. When I open that page using Firefox, all six segments start playing; the Tower of Babel meets Clem from Carolina! If I use Chrome or something else, 'nary a video starts until I select one. Weird.

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Try the 'Reply' button.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Well, I'll be damned. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted