1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Militia seizes Federal building

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jan 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

To DQ -

Well, he launched the parallel as a counterattack.

Does he think or believe they're exactly alike?

Probably not, but firing off the counterargument at all implies equivalency.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's only tradition, because it allows the president to escape any political fallout resulting from the pardon.

For me, it's better this way. If the public thinks the President is acting improper, we have a means of expressing that, at the ballot box.

Bill Clinton would have never pardoned Marc Rich is he still had to stand for election.

Obama didn't commute the sentence of Oscar López Rivera -- an unrepentant terrorist, who refused to renounce his acts of terror, which is why he didn't get out of jail under Clinton -- when he did it out of a sake of tradition. He did it at the end of his term so he wouldn't have to answer for it.

And, it a pardon is warranted, I'm not sure why someone should remain in jail, simply to satisfy some tradition.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

To serve some jail time? Maybe that's how you earn the pardon.

I suspect he'll be pardoning them in advance before long.

4. YankeeFan

How much jail time did Marc Rich serve?

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Except that none of those things are "the exact same."

6. YankeeFan

Well, I'd argue with you, but I know you don't follow the news closely, so I'm sure this is true, in your mind.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Give me a little time and I'll fi d some links.

8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

On April 6, 2018, Jeff Sessions announced the administrations new zero-tolerance policy, which is weird, since what they were doing was already exactly the same as what Obama was doing before.

9. YankeeFan

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Marc Rich is probably the worst overstep in the history of presidential pardons.

Is that really going to be your point of comparison for every other pardon in presidential history?

11. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Here's Jeff Sessions, announcing his new policy, which apparently was exactly the same as the old policy.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"So, tell me why democrats, liberals, and male feminists in Hollywood are outraged by "kids in cages" under Trump, but weren't when Obama put them in cages." ~ YF

One, there *was* outrage. Two, not that many people really heard about it because Three, Obama didn't set a policy of taking babies away from their parents and throwing them in baby jail to the tune of a couple of thousand in six weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted