1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Militia movement

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Again, another good read. (Hope I'm not placed on some watch list for downloading the pdf.) Again, there are no numbers. I have no doubt militias grew in the Obama presidency. The African-American president combined with the faltering economy is a bad mix for this.

But, the statements from the original article strike me as outrageous. Plain fear-mongering.

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

The Homeland Security report -- IIRC, I haven't read it since it came out -- noted that after Oklahoma City, most groups disbanded or went completely off the grid. The government barely had any left to track. That might help explain your percentage jump, partially.

The other thing that makes sense to me is the overtness of it. We've got Birthers, truthers, gold bugs, sovereign citizens, border kooks -- it's the Golden Age of Crankdom in America. And these people have isolated themselves from any real sources of information and are impervious to ridicule.

Numbers don't seem out of line, to me.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Right - you include some of those groups as "militias" in the same vein as militias that blow up buildings then whine when someone says that the Occupy Hippies are very similar to militias... ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted